Panasonic introduces Lumix CM1 smartphone with a 1-inch image sensor, Leica lens

Shawn Knight

Staff member

panasonic android smartphone camera lens photokina leica lumix lumix cm1

Despite the fact that mobile photography has never been as big as it is today, smartphones like the Samsung Galaxy K Zoom that put the quality of the camera above all other specs haven’t really caught on with consumers.

The approach that’s proven most successful thus far is to pack the best possible camera inside a phone without making it actually look like a camera.

panasonic android smartphone camera lens photokina leica lumix lumix cm1

That precedent is doing little to deter Panasonic, however, as the electronics giant has announced a new smartphone at the Photokina imaging trade show that puts the camera first (or as Panasonic refers to it, a capable camera with communications capabilities).

The device in question is the Lumix DMC-CM1, an Android-based smartphone that packs a 1-inch image sensor capable of producing 20-megapixel images with help from a Leica-branded fixed f/2.8 lens that works out to the equivalent of a 28mm zoom lens. If you’re keeping up, that’s the same size image sensor found in mirrorless cameras such as the Sony Rx100.

There’s also a dedicated shutter button as well as a manual lens ring to assist in dialing in the aperture / shutter speed. Oh, and did I mention it can capture 4K video, too?

As for the phone itself, you’re looking at a device with a 4.7-inch full HD display. Under the hood is a quad-core Snapdragon 801 SoC clocked at 2.3GHz mated with 2GB of RAM and 16GB of storage (expandable via microSD card slot). It’ll run Android 4.4 KitKat out of the box, we’re told.

Panasonic plans to launch the hybrid camera phone in limited quantities. Expect to pay around 899 euros ($1,162) for the opportunity when it arrives in France and Europe this November. No word yet on whether or not Panasonic is planning to bring the CM1 to the US or other regions.

Permalink to story.

Good design, but cameras in the new phones are becoming just too good to pay this much for a stand-alone camera. For the kind of money one can buy one of the best phones completely off-contract:

-LG G3 Cat6
-Note 4
-iPhone 6 Plus

They all have very decent cameras, supporting 4K video recording, while LG G3 is probably the fastest for image stabilization.

Who wants two devices anyway when you can easily get away with one...?

Good design, but cameras in the new phones are becoming just too good to pay this much for a stand-alone camera. For the kind of money one can buy one of the best phones completely off-contract:

-LG G3 Cat6
-Note 4
-iPhone 6 Plus

They all have very decent cameras, supporting 4K video recording, while LG G3 is probably the fastest for image stabilization.

I didn't think this was a standalone-camera, article reads like it's a smartphone.

Looked interesting until I found out it does not have optical zoom lens. It is also a bit on the expensive side.

Fabulous retro design. I'm sure there is a niche market for this and that the product somehow fits into Panasonic's overall strategy - maybe differentiating itself through design. Maybe if it is competitive in price with the iPhone 6, even a poor bloke like me might consider getting one, just for the coolness factor :)

Sorry, but for that amount of money, I'd rather carry my dSLR & my smartphone.
Yes, Leica had great glass, but, for that amount of money, my APS-C sensor is still going to do a better
job than this. Cost is still too high for something like that, just to get the "red dot" next to the Leica name.

Looked interesting until I found out it does not have optical zoom lens. It is also a bit on the expensive side.

I don't know of any smartphones that do have an optical zoom lens... Then again, I don't know of any phones that have a 1" image sensor either. If the mouth breathing fanboys will pay $1000 for an iphone 6 without any real innovations, I don't see why this wouldn't find a market either.

Error in the article:
"works out to the equivalent of a 28mm zoom lens"
If it works out at 28mm, that's a fixed focal length prime/wide angle, but not a "zoom".

I don't know of any smartphones that do have an optical zoom lens... Then again, I don't know of any phones that have a 1" image sensor either. If the mouth breathing fanboys will pay $1000 for an iphone 6 without any real innovations, I don't see why this wouldn't find a market either.

The article does mention the Samsung Galaxy K Zoom which has a 10 x optical zoom lens. However there are compact cameras available with 30 x zoom lens which cost considerably less.

-LG G3 Cat6
-Note 4
-iPhone 6 Plus

Those phones' cameras can in no way be compared with this thing. Did you know that this is a phone as well? Why would you want to carry another phone with you?

The article does mention the Samsung Galaxy K Zoom which has a 10 x optical zoom lens. However there are compact cameras available with 30 x zoom lens which cost considerably less.

Ah, I missed the mention of the Samsung, thanks. Still, the Samsung sensor is only 1/2.3" (or about .4"), which captures a lot less light than a 1" sensor. I personally carry my own camera with me everywhere I go in addition to my Moto X, but it would be nice to be able to leave that heavy lunk at home occasionally, and have a cell phone cam that brings in tons of light.

I can't afford one, but it's good to see that tech in a phone.

Back