TechSpot

Paralel Cable Guide?

By me(who else?)
Mar 20, 2004
  1. Parallel Cable Guide?

I'm working on hooking a NES controller into a computer via a parallel port. The web-site I am using as a guide says "Use a voltmeter to test which cable matches each prong". My question is: How? Does anybody have a guide to the colors of the wires for each prong? PLease help!

2. me(who else?)

me(who else?) TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 387

BUMP...anybody out there can help me?

3. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

How about posting a link to that guide?

4. me(who else?)

5. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TS Evangelist Posts: 4,345   +11

It means you measure the resistance between the pins, if they're connected, it should be zero (or very near it).

6. me(who else?)

HUH? What does that mean you do...I'm a bit clueless.

7. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

It means you set your multimeter (a really fancy voltmeter if you like) to a mode to measure resistance.

Then, say you want to know which wire corresponds to pin 2 in the DB25 plug. You touch pin 2 with one probe and then go through all the loose wires in the other end with the other probe. The wire that shows near zero resistance is connected to pin 2.

8. me(who else?)

I set mine up differently. I used my cheap Radioshack voltmeter and attached on e wire into the meter. Then I wired a battery into the other prong on the voltmeter to a battery. Then I touched the wire from the negative side of the battery to each prong until the voltmeter showed a positive response.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.