TechSpot

Partition Magic 8.0 Windows XP HDD resizing STOPPED restarted = broke

By mokaboy
Apr 1, 2005
  1. help me please

i need to recover a PqRP drive, it was ntfs format but failed when i tried to resize it (computer restarted for no reason) it haddnt finished :O so now i look in partition magic and its set as pqRP (note im using it as a slave cause i have another computer ) it wont boot in the computer it was in :O

help

2. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,305   +52 Staff Member

I am unaware of any utilities designed to repair Partition Magic blunders, but I guess it is too late to tell you sometimes that happens and always backup your data when possible. :(

Before we blame PM though... Often times, there is another underlying problem. Your drive may failing or your file system may have been damaged before you run Partition Magic. I suggest running a diagnostic utility to verify your drive is indeed working before you attempt to recover data... It might help you determine the best approach.

Interestingly enough, I have used Active @ PartitionRecovery to successfully restore a previous Partition Magic Mistake(tm). You can find a link to this program and drive diagnostic utilities here...

http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic7602.html

In the future when you run Partition Magic (if you didn't already), make sure to verify the physical integrity of your drive by using a diagnostic utility and a program such as chkdsk or scandisk to verify the file system. It might save you a headache.. But above all else, backup that data first! :)

3. akhilles

akhilles TS Rookie Posts: 29

Pretty much all partitioning tools tell the user to back up their data in advance. And most would ignore it.

So I use 2 part's: one for win and one for my doc.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.