Pastor launched worthless cryptocurrency because "God told him to do it," spent $1.3 million...

midian182

Staff member
WTF?! "God told me to do it," is a line espoused by some criminals as an excuse for their crimes, but Colorado pastor Eli Regalado is probably the first person to use it as a reason for pocketing money he made in a crypto scam.

Online pastor Regalado and his wife, Kaitlyn, are accused of defrauding more than 300 investors out of $3.2 million via a cryptocurrency they created called INDXcoin. Regalado admits that half of this money was used for the couple's personal benefit, but he seems to be pointing the finger of blame at God, though he might have misheard the Lord.

When Regalado announced on his YouTube channel that he was going to start selling crypto last April, he said that God was backing the project and that he was "setting the rails for God's wealth transfer."

Eli Regalado

Regalado and his wife sold INDXcoin through an online crypto marketplace called Kingdom Wealth Exchange that Eli created, controlled, and operated.

Using sales pitches filled with Bible quotes and claims that the coins were valued at $10 - $12 but available for $1.50 or less, they raised $3.2 million.

According to Colorado state regulators, INDXcoin was "essentially worthless." While investors lost millions, the couple used at least $1.3 million of the money they received on vacations, a Range Rover, jewelry, luxury handbags, cosmetic dentistry, clothes, and an au pair. They also spent a huge sum on home renovations, and at least $290,000 went into their online-only church, Victorious Grace Church.

Regalado did not deny that the pair used the money for their own gains. "The charges are that Kaitlyn and I pocketed 1.3 million dollars, and I just want to come out and say that those charges are true," he said in a video statement a few days after the civil charges were filed. "A few hundred thousand dollars went to a home remodel that the Lord told us to do."

"We took God at his word and sold a cryptocurrency with no clear exit."

The Regalados marketed their coin as a low-risk, high-reward investment. Eli even claimed the Lord had told him people would become wealthy if they invested.

The pair's lack of experience in crypto became obvious when a third-party auditor's report allegedly described their INDXcoin code as unsafe, insecure, and riddled with serious technical problems. This was before the coin launched, yet they continued to promote it. When investors failed to reap the promised rewards, Regalado said they just had to wait for God's plan to unfold.

The state says the INDXcoin was not backed by assets and there was no market beyond its pool of investors. The couple also failed to explain how the market would work and that their own Kingdom Wealth Exchange was the only platform where the coin could be bought, sold, or traded.

In a video addressing the accusations, Regalado said "We launched an exchange [...] The exchange technology failed. Things went downhill. And from that point forward, we've just been waiting on the Lord."

"I know this looks bad," he added. "I know this looks terrible." The pastor also said that about half a million dollars of investors' money was used to pay taxes to the IRS.

It appears that Regalado hasn't lost his faith that God will help him and INDXcoin investors out of this hole.

"Either I misheard God … or God is still not done with this project, and He is going to do a new thing," he said in a recent video. "What we're praying for, and what we're believing for still, is that God is going to do a miracle. God is going to work a miracle in the financial sector … [and that] everyone [who invested] … is going to be able to receive money back."

The Regalados face civil fraud charges for allegedly violating the anti-fraud, licensing and registration provisions of the Colorado Securities Act.

Permalink to story.

Religion in the US is such nonsense these days. It's become this strange lifestyle choice adopted by some of the most unchristian people. Just saying god bless you doesn't make you a good person. Donald Trump has to be the pinnacle example of this - everything he does breaks every tenet of true Christianity but he still says he's Christian and the window-lickers lap it up.

Religion in the US is such nonsense these days. It's become this strange lifestyle choice adopted by some of the most unchristian people. Just saying god bless you doesn't make you a good person. Donald Trump has to be the pinnacle example of this - everything he does breaks every tenet of true Christianity but he still says he's Christian and the window-lickers lap it up.
IMO, religion, anywhere, is useless especially when practiced by fanatics like this that think they have a "Hot Line" to God, and there are many fanatics that fall into this category of having a "Hot Line" to God - not just these dolts.

Throughout history, religion has done more harm than good. It has not unified people, it generally tends to divide people and thus causes the battles that so many of these "religions" say they are against. Just like in this case, religion tends to be an excuse for anti-social, abusive, and generally bad behavior.

And as if Donald Trump is believable - What a joke! It is only the hopelessly lost who believe him, IMO. The only God Donald Trump believes in is Donald Trump.

IMO, religion, anywhere, is useless especially when practiced by fanatics like this that think they have a "Hot Line" to God, and there are many fanatics that fall into this category of having a "Hot Line" to God - not just these dolts.

Throughout history, religion has done more harm than good. It has not unified people, it generally tends to divide people and thus causes the battles that so many of these "religions" say they are against. Just like in this case, religion tends to be an excuse for anti-social, abusive, and generally bad behavior.

And as if Donald Trump is believable - What a joke! It is only the hopelessly lost who believe him, IMO. The only God Donald Trump believes in is Donald Trump.
I thought this cringe died out years ago after the "I am euphoric" post spread like wildfire on r/atheism. Guess some stragglers still remain. And we GOTTA get some daddy donny in there because orange man bad, dont you know!

There are healthier ways of absolving your father issues.
Civil fraud? Intentionally creating something that is worthless but mislead about the truth to extract a lot more money is....a criminal matter isn't it?
AFAICT, the reason they went with civil charges is to try and place a lein on Regalado's property. "the action, filed in Denver District Court, seeks preliminary and injunctive relief, damages for investors and for a constructive trust to be placed on the Defendants’ property."

Criminal charges would put the Regaldos behind bars in half a decade, but wouldnt get people's money back. Given the nature of crypto scammers they dont want to give the Regalados any time to shrink off assets that were bought with the crypto.

https://securities.colorado.gov/pre...-commissioner-files-complaint-against-alleged

Yet another example of someone who shouldn't have had any amount of power.

New age, new concept, same old "trust me this figure, bro".

Because somebody says something like I'm this, or I'm that, we know how mental illness plays a huge part of todays society, and for anyone who invests in things like this does not only lack basic logic but also has no concept of what an investment is.
He will soon face prison time!

Frankly, I think that anyone dumb enough to invest in a Crypto scheme because some Bible-thumper told them to do it deserves to lose everything they "invested" in.

"I know that after I leave, savage wolves will come in among you and will not spare the flock. Even from your own number men will arise and distort the truth in order to draw away disciples after them. So be on your guard! Remember that for three years I never stopped warning each of you night and day with tears." The Apostle Paul's words to the Ephesian church elders in Acts 20:29-31.

I would love to see an article on 10 of the morons who invested in this scam -- just to see what they look and sound like (or maybe invite them to give a TED talk on investing).

I want to launch a coin that would reward workers that does not get promoted on their jobs, no matter what they do. Their portfolios would be presented for an audience through a web portal and the person would start receiving coins as a monthly raise on their income.

This man isn't a Christian fanatic at all - he is a criminal who has duplicitously deceived gullible people under the guise of "Christianity". Real Christianity is not like this at all. True Christians who obey Jesus Christ and follow His precepts are humble, long-suffering, relational, peacemakers, who hate injustice and rejoice when the Truth prevails. Ask the Lord to bring one such person alongside you to have a chat.

Back