TechSpot

PC building kits?

By HeadFonez
Aug 21, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. Any good PC building tool kits, i'm about to build my rig soon and I wanted to know what would be the best thing to get. >:p

2. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,976   +956

Well, you can buy a "bare bones" type package, then purchase the rest of the parts to turn it into a computer. OR (my favorite) figure out how much money you have to spend and pick out the parts yourself.

There are buying and building guides here at Techspot, this for starters; http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic133075-3.html#post923060

3. HeadFonez

HeadFonez TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 56

Uhh, i mean't a TOOL Kit i understood how you could be misguided and edited my post.

4. captaincranky

5. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 8,484   +233

It's not necessary to quote the entire post ahead of yours to reply to it.

Is this tool kit's primary use to assemble a PC? IMO, all you really need is a #2 phillips head screwdriver, maybe a #2 flat blade screwdriver to help pry out the I/O cover plates in the back of the case and a pair of pliers to snug up motherboard standoffs to just beyond finger tight. Instead of pliers I use the proper sized 1/4" drive socket but I have a large automotive tool set from which to draw.

6. HeadFonez

Uhh, it will be for PC building and for unscrewing stuff that is broken or old to "explore" I just don't feel like going to buy individual stuff and enjoy kits, as they usually come with a nifty storage case.

7. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 8,484   +233

As you may know there are many different kits with varying compositions. Take a look at what Newegg has to offer and pick one although I'm not saying you need to buy it from there. I've already stated what tools I think you need. The rest are optional.

You could pick out a kit or two or three and link them here and ask for opinions or just go for what captaincranky suggested.

8. captaincranky

I went through about four pages of tools, and (as one might expect), the store brand Rosewill was the most reasonable. Twenty bucks, and it does come with a wrist strap, which would be about 8 bucks anyhoo....

9. HeadFonez

I can get a pair of pliers from my dad easily, i think i will order that kit! thank you.

10. captaincranky

I'm with you, cases are neat. You tend to lose less stuff when you have a visual representation of what should be there, before you put it away.

11. Technochicken

Technochicken TechSpot Paladin Posts: 903

I can't imagine actually using close to all the things in that kit. PC's seem to pretty much just have Phillips head screws in them. If I were you, I would just get a decent screwdriver- slightly magnetic ones seem to work best, as they hold on to the screws, but don't mess up your hard drives. I've never bothered with anti-static straps ever either. I just try to touch something grounded, like a plugged in PSU, before handling more sensitive hardware.

12. hellokitty[hk]

hellokitty[hk] Hello, nice to meet you! Posts: 4,377   +127

You don't need anything to build a computer :(.
    Screwdriver isn't even necessary because it doesn't need to be particularly tight; just bare hands will do ok. Though I definitely would advise that you get a proper phillips head, thats it though.

13. HeadFonez

I'll get a magnetic philips head, pliers and a flat head screw driver? I'm a beginner so i don't know what is needed to build a computer, and i'm like ;O

14. hellokitty[hk]

hellokitty[hk] Hello, nice to meet you! Posts: 4,377   +127

I'll repeat myself, just a Phillips head is fine for me.
    The vast majority is just snap in place style easy-peasy.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.