TechSpot

PC cooling company Zalman files for bankruptcy

By Scorpus
Nov 6, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Over the past few years, Korean cooling company Zalman has slid away from the spotlight. Once a main player in the silent PC cooling business, the company filed for bankruptcy earlier this week.

Read more

2. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,917   +684

This makes me sad :(

3. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,476   +2,034

Me too. They were the pioneers of aftermarket cooling back in the day, I owned a few of their products. This is what happens when there are a bunch of sticky fingered, greedy people running the show.

4. veLa

veLa TS Evangelist Posts: 707   +168

Definitely still have a couple of old Zalman coolers lying around. It's sad because they really were some of the best back then.

5. Nobina

Nobina TS Evangelist Posts: 845   +335

I totally forgot about them. I remember not too long ago if you needed a good custom cooler everyone would recommend Zalman, now it's usually Noctua.

6. TS-56336

TS-56336 TS Addict Posts: 609   +109

It really does break my heart when I see an amazing company become like this.

7. andrewyoung

andrewyoung TS Enthusiast Posts: 44   +13

Well that sucks.......they were one of the best.

8. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,550   +2,894

I'm currently using the "ZALMAN CNPS10X Performa". It has been a great cooler, I have no complaints.

I need a bankrupt sticker and put it on the Zalman logo, I have on the front of my case.

9. TitoBXNY

TitoBXNY TS Addict Posts: 227   +48

I was a big Zalman fan for many years. Once other better lower cost solutions came out I moved on. It's a real damn shame what greed and no integrity can do to a company. Happens far to often these days.

10. I have a Zalman CNPS 9500 LED cooling my CPU as I type. Sad day indeed.

11. yRaz

yRaz TS Evangelist Posts: 1,897   +940

I have the same zalman 9700LED that I bought in 2006. I've never found a suitable replacement. I want something that looks amazing and has great cooling performance. There are other great coolers out there but none as beautiful as that copper 9700

12. Good riddance. I once asked for their support but they gave me none.

13. wiyosaya

wiyosaya TS Evangelist Posts: 1,035   +269

I bought one of their products years ago, and it was my fault for not investigating it further before I bought it. The idea was sound, to vent cpu exhaust heat out of the case and maintain a quiet noise level, to the best of my recollection, it required a weird mounting scheme that the case I had could not accommodate, so I sent it back.

Over the years, it seems like their designs were more aimed a looking cool than working the best, and from the many reviews that I read over the years when I needed a new CPU cooler, they were not among the best of designs. I started using Thermalright several years back, and in general, I have been happy with them.

I do not like seeing the small guys go, but I think that for many companies these days, there is too much focus on looks rather than functionality. That sometimes makes me wonder if those particular companies that focus on looks really have the technical knowledge to make a really good design. Perhaps this is part of the reason Zallman is in the position that they are.

SirChocula likes this.
  14. Ack. Reminds me of the fall of OCZ. Great engineering, lousy business management.

15. madboyv1

madboyv1 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,333   +267

It would be hard not to find a Zalman HSF in one of my older builds during the 2000s. =/

16. Sniped_Ash

Sniped_Ash TS Maniac Posts: 253   +108

I also never found a replacement for my CPNS 9500, but I've been downsizing cases since I got it in 2009 so those big Noctuas just don't work.

OCZ went away because they put crappy flash memory in their SSDs to keep the prices so low. As soon as Samsung, Corsair, etc. could offer competitive pricing for way more reliable drives, OCZ's fate was sealed.

17. USAvenger

USAvenger TS Enthusiast Posts: 26   +18

I have one similar to the one in the photo on my January '06 AMD 64 build that I still have sitting around collecting dust. I never had any issues with it in the seven years that I used it.

18. DjKraid

DjKraid TS Guru Posts: 536   +21

Wow....just wow....depressing....I have so much memories, loved their chipset coolers and cpu coolers and have had a bunch of them and I think that I still have some old relics somewhere in a box somewhere.

19. MoeJoe

MoeJoe TS Maniac Posts: 398   +207

The world has changed... for the worse.

20. Benny26

Benny26 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,533   +48

Sad to hear about this.

21. Jamie999

Jamie999 TS Member

I still have my Zalman GPU cooler for my 7900GS and it's still being used today. Sad to see them go.

22. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

I remember reading this yesterday and being quite surprised. I always thought Zalman was doing well. I guess not.

23. SirGCal

SirGCal TS Maniac Posts: 365   +136

This has been refuted by Zalman as being BS rumors with no substance.

24. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,690   +1,879

If you're going to cry, "bull poop" on the story, you really should post a link to the repudiation.

Although, sometimes I expect even the stockholders don't know the truth, until they go to the annual meeting and find the doors locked....:oops:

Last edited: Nov 10, 2014
  25. red1776

red1776 Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe Posts: 5,219   +157

Here is a link to them denying it. I'm with Cap. Nobody will know until they are in court asking for protection or another year goes by.