PC Crashes completly while playing PC games

Status
Not open for further replies.

jzA_

Hello Folks,

I wish my first post had to come under these circumstances, heh. I have a problem, that I havent been able to find an answer for. For some reason my computer will get into a multiplayer game of Quake IV, stay in for around 5 mins, then my game will freeze, and my computer will go a black screen as if my computer isnt on. Its like when you turn your screen on with your computer off, except I can HEAR my computer running. Its extremly weird. I also, on the odd occasions that this occured, I ONCE got the error " VPU recoverer has reset your graphics accelerator as it was no longer responding to graphic driver commands". Most the time though my computer would just like shut off completly, but still keep running if you know what I mean. Ive had some WEIRD problems with computers, but this is DEFINITLY the weirdest, here are my specs:

Medion COMPOSER 4300 PC
AMD Atholon 64 3200+
-512 K L2 Cache/2.0 ghz
256 MB ATI RADEON X700 PRO
1 GB DDR PC 3200
250 GB S-ATA 7200 rpm hard drive

PLEASE any help is needed, I even tried to reformat but it didnt fix the problem:(.

As you probably know, these types of system crashes can take some time to correctly diagnose. All you can do is rule out one thing at a time.

Here's where I would start:

Right click on "my computer" then "manage" then "event viewer". Take a look around in those categories for red (and yellow) errors and see if you can find some hints in there as to what is causing the crashes.

This is ONLY happening when you are in-game?

It could be a driver issue, so you can try by updating them to see if that fixes you up if you haven't already. Update your video drivers from www.ati.com and then go to your motherboard maker's website and download the latest chipset drivers.

Another possibility is your ram is dying. You can download and run this test on it at www.memtest.org . Run the test for 6 or 7 passes. It'll take a few hours so be forewarned.

Another possibility (and my hunch) is your power supply. Open up your case and look for a sticker on it. Can you tell us what brand it is, and how many watts it is rated at?

I took your advice and went into the event viewer.I have a few yellow exclamation marks that read:
1. An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging operation.
2. A provider, OffProv11, has been registered in the WMI namespace, Root\MSAPPS11, to use the LocalSystem account. This account is privileged and the provider may cause a security violation if it does not correctly impersonate user requests.
3. Windows saved user MEDION-4300\Matthew Morrelli registry while an application or service was still using the registry during log off. The memory used by the user's registry has not been freed. The registry will be unloaded when it is no longer in use.

This is often caused by services running as a user account, try configuring the services to run in either the LocalService or NetworkService account.

Answer to question: This is only happening to me in-game and is only happening recently to say the least, the game has worked fine before.

My video drivers are updated, and I went to NVIDIA site and downloaded their latest NFORCE4 Drivers.

I will be back once I checked the power supply, and ran the memory test.

THANKS FOR THE REPLY!

Ok I have completed the tasks you have given me and here are the results:

Results from MemTest

Wall Time Cached RsudMem McmMap Cache Ecc Test Pass Errs Ecc Errs
10:28:11 1024M 257M e820-std on off std 26 0 ----

Heres is the power supply information:

FSP Group INC
Model Number: FSP350-60VMDN Rev.A
AC Input: 110-120V~, 10A, 50/60 Hz
DC Input: 350 W

Other information:
On my last computer I had a AGP 4X board I was running a Radeon 9800 PRO through, my fan died on it, and the card went for ****.

Now on my PCIx16 board, when I had my case open, I ran quake 4, and I found that ONLY when I restarted did the fan on my ATI video card do anything. The card was also EXTREMLY HOT, I wonder if this would have anything to do with the problem? Is there a program you can download that will moniter your fan and temperature of your video card, like it was BURN hot HOT. Is there any ATI fan settings program?

I dont want to reck my card that cost 300 can lol.

-jzA

I also downloaded ATI TOOL which helps me moniter my temperature. Dont worry im not using this tool for overclocking, only temperature information.

I found one interesting thing. My temperature was well over 70 degrees(78) celcius, and i let the computer set, then I could hear the video card fan kick in when it dropped to around 71, and it instantly brought the temperature done 10 degrees, now my system appears fairly stable at 50 degrees celcius.

Is there any way I can set times on this tool as to where the fan kicks in at etc, I really believe now that this is a overheating issue. Is it also possible my card isnt getting enough power? SO MANY questions. SHOULD i clean it? Someone said to blow the fan out with compressed air, as well as the insides of your computer. hehe no techs on this morning i guess lolol.

-jza

if it still isnt working try checking your refresh rate on your monitor if you have a CRT. It should be arround 70 no more than 85. and my best bet would be your powersource

Well, at least it sounds like you have isolated what the problem is. There are 3rd party cooling solutions for graphics cards, and it may do you some good to pick one up.

http://www.zalman.co.kr/eng/product/view.asp?idx=173&code=013

In the meantime, how is the air circulation in your case? How many fans do you have in it now, and when is the last time you gave it a good cleaning to get some of that dust buildup out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back