TechSpot

PC crashes whenever I try and play a game

By tomd741
Mar 12, 2009
  1. Hi guys.
    Basic problem is that my computer freezes every time i start a game. I'm assuming this has something to do with the video card.

My steps so far have been to format my HD and re-install windows vista. I have not connected to the internet since re-installing windows so I am almost certain I have no viruses.

The problem occurred whilst playing a game, the computer froze and was totally non-responsive - even to ctrl+alt+del.

Sometimes when I switch it on, it loads up until the login screen which stays blank.
    I have found that I can start it up successfully in safe mode.

My specs are as followed:

Manufacturer: Dell Inspiron 531
    Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 Dual Core Processor 5600+ 2.81 ghz
    RAM: 3582mb
    System type: 32-bit OS
    Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8300 GS

If you need anymore info pls ask
    Thanks

2. Matthew

Matthew TechSpot Staff Posts: 5,248   +92

All your device drivers up to date?

3. tomd741

tomd741 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 18

Yep, i downloaded the latest from the Nvidia website.

4. tomd741

just to confirm - downloading the drivers did not solve the problem

5. ThaUnknown

ThaUnknown TS Rookie Posts: 62

what power supply are you using?

6. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,137   +1,618

First, a 8300GS video card is just barely more competent than onboard graphics. so if it freezes on games with very high system requirements, it shouldn't come as much of a surprise. Other than that, the possibility exists it might be an insufficient PSU, and/or overheating video card or CPU.

7. tomd741

300W power supply - I'm certain the graphics card is broken somehow, because when I plug the screen into the integrated video card port it works. I'm looking at a couple of replacements for the graphics card already but I dont really want to replace the power supply as well. Im only using the graphics card for one game and its really not graphics intensive (EVE online)

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.