PC crashing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi. I am trying to help my mum out, her PC is continually crashing. I haven't been down there to check it out, but when I do- where is the best place to start?? She has tried to do virus scans, but it restarts before she gets a chance to finish them off. It doesn't matter how long she is on there for, it just keeps doing it. We were talking on msn for like 5 minutes and she claims that it did it 5 times during that space of time.

Start by having her go into Safe Mode and run the security scans. Once those have been run, we'll know whether malware is the problem or not. She should run the anti-virus scan and at least spyware/adware programs.

When you come back to report on this, please give us information about her system> Desktop or laptop, CPU, Installed RAM, Operating System.

If she's crashing, she's going to need to go in on Safe Mode to access the Event Viewer:

Reboot the computer> right after the logo loads BEFORE Windows starts to load, start and keep tapping F8. This should bring you up in Safe Mode. From there, navigate to the Control Panel> Administrative Tools> Event Viewer:

Click on System & Apps, one at a time on the left> look for Errors on the right> right click error> Properties> note description of error, Event# and Source.

There is a "copy" button below the up/down arrows. Click that, then go to any place that allows you to type (ie. notepad, wordpad, this board) and you can paste (use CTRL-V) the entire event details there. It makes for easy reporting of the event.

If you want to paste the Event here, you do not need to include the lines of code that follow the Description- but paste all else. You will be looking for Error that occurs at the time of the problem. Please ignore Warnings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back