PC cut off, now wont boot up

Status
Not open for further replies.

syberpower

Hi thanks for taking the time to read my post

I recently installed a 9800 gt and vista, everything was nice for a while, then i got my first crash while playing a game. "Nvlddmkm.dll has stopped responding and has successfully recovered" error message popped up. These got more and more frequent so I decided to look around and found this was quite a common problem so i tried all known workarounds but nothing worked (including reverting back to XP).

I decided to try and take the GPU back and swapped it for another 9800 gt an inno3d version this time, put it into my abit fatal1ty an9-32x and was perfectly happy for around 30 minutes, then all of a sudden my pc cut out whilst in the middle of a game. I tried to power it back up but was greeted by a blank screen so I cant get to bios or anything. Post code on mobo halts 9.0 sometimes but other times when i boot up i get C 1.

Have tried clearing the cmos with the jumper, taking battery and all power connectors out and replacing it all then booting up again but nothing. Also tried taking out the new GPU and it doesnt halt at 9.0 or C 1 when i boot up without it. Haven't got a spare to test with yet.

Im running with

Vista 32 bit
A-Bit fatal1ty an9-32x
OCZ DDR2 Nvidia SLi ready memory
Processor is AMD AM2 socket no idea of model number sorry
580w hiper PSU TYPE M (HPU-4M580)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

P.S have had no previous problems with this setup when using my old 9500 gt, but haven't got it at the moment to test with.

Just checked the inno3d website and they report that a 12v ampage of 30 amps is reccomended for this card. My psu says onit 12v1 amps is 20 and 12v2 amps is 18 could this be the problem? do i need a better PSU?

Yes,
replace the power supply with a more powerful one

Sorry to second guess you but are you sure? I have little experience with building rigs this is my first. I just dont want to buy a new PSU and fit it only to find out that wasnt the problem. are you really sure its the PSU?

if it is the PSU would that explain the sudden cut out and not being able to reboot?

also i have had some people telling me its the gpu itself or the mobo, is there anyway of eliminating the mobo without a spare graphics card?

Thanks for taking the time to help by the way :)

This is your first build. Replace the power supply!

You said:
"Just checked the inno3d website and they report that a 12v ampage of 30 amps is reccomended for this card. My psu says onit 12v1 amps is 20 and 12v2 amps is 18 could this be the problem? do i need a better PSU?"...

The "12v2" means a dual 12 volt rail power supply. Your installed supply is only a single 12 volt rail supply. The 18 amps may be too little, but 30 seems high. Once again REPLACE THE POWER SUPPLY with a dual 12 volt rail supply. You will be glad you did

This is your first build. Replace the power supply!

You said:
"Just checked the inno3d website and they report that a 12v ampage of 30 amps is reccomended for this card. My psu says onit 12v1 amps is 20 and 12v2 amps is 18 could this be the problem? do i need a better PSU?"...

The "12v2" means a dual 12 volt rail power supply. Your installed supply is only a single 12 volt rail supply. The 18 amps may be too little, but 30 seems high. Once again REPLACE THE POWER SUPPLY with a dual 12 volt rail supply. You will be glad you did

are you sure mine is only a single rail supply it does say on it "+12v1 20A" "+12v2 18A" does that not mean there are 2 rails one with 20 amps and another with 18 amps? sorry i am a noob im only just learning all this today :(

Looks like a dual rail now that you mention it, but it still needs replacing with a dual rail supply with a little better AMP rating, if you can get close to 30 amps on 1 12 volt rail

Tell us the Power Supply you have... I don't think it is the power handling of the power supply, but rather the stability, and the ability to maintain steady output... and you are correct... It has the rails as you describe... But still there is the issue of quality... what is the brand and model?

I would not get the Hiper brand, when there are so many good ones out there... are you in the USA or another country...
If you can get them, I would strongly suggest you follow Tmagic650's recommendation for a Corsair or OZC, but I am not as fond of the Antec Basiq or Green... something.... The Antec TruePower is good, but no reason to get one if you can find a Corsair, OZC, or PCPower and Cooling.

I have a Antec TruePower 500 Watt running a Core2 Quad Q6600 OC'd from 2.4GHz to 3GHz and a Nvidia 9600GT video card... 500 or higher Watts in the brands that Raybay suggested.

Ok thanks for your advice guys ill report back soon as poss. Im in the UK by the way thanks again.

You never know who made which Hiper... They only have one rail. The tests published at varios sites show they cannot long handle sudden requests for power... their output is all over the place... Hiper is OK, but since you have to buy one, the market prices are low for very good ones for little more... and they are stable and dual rails.

The enemy of Good is Better... and there is no reason not to get better at these prices you will see in June and July...

The market changes again in August, and prices will go back up... way up.

Ok so i did some testing today. First i took out my graphics card + 1 stick of ram and put my old 9500 gt back in. To my surprise the same error code popped up and got nothing but a blank screen, so i decided to try my brothers ram but only one stick.

Rebooted and everything booted up fine. Then i tried my new graphics card in my brothers pc with only 1 stick of his ram, but nothing same blank screen.

So i concluded both my ram and GPU were both faulty. Sent my ram back through RMA and bought myself a new set, corsair 4gb this time + new PSU 680w corsair + replacement GPU (same 9800 gt different brand though palit or something). Installed it all and im happy to report everything is fine. Just thought i would let you all know :)

Glad you got it sorted, and I am also glad you replaced the power supply. The old power supply might have taken out the video card and the memory

Thnx for update. Very tough when two components are bad. You have done well in getting back into operation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back