PC doesn't respond to power button

Hi
When pressing the power button nothing happens. Fans don't move, no lights come on. When using the cmos pins to clear it the fans move for a second and then stop. I've tried stripping it to bare minimum but no luck. Is it the motherboard or the CPU that died ? I don't have an option to borrow a psu to test it so I'll need to buy one.

Core i5 2500k
ASRock Z77 Pro4
12GB Corsair Vengeance
KFA2 GeForce GTX 970
Samsung SSD 830 128GB + Samsung F3 1TB
Asus Xonar DG
Antec vp550p

Just supposing this is a new build, here are some thoughts (which may lead to an answer):
- review motherboard manual and confirm connections are correct...any change?
- remove connection to power button and short the pins...did it start?
- remove everything from case and do a benchtop build...adding one or two components at a time....did you get beep codes?...were they the right error for the state of construction? (ie, CPU is installed but no RAM, you should get a RAM error, etc)

If this is an old system which stopped running, then I would say either a bad power button, bad or loose RAM or PSU. I keep a spare PSU on the shelf just for these types of problems.

It was the psu. Thanks

Call Antec and see if any warrenty is left on it before you chuck it.
I had a vp450 and it lasted for 2 years, it just quietly died out without any warning.

1-800-222-6832

For pre-sales and product information, or technical support for your purchased product, please call Antec Customer Support at 1-800-222-6832 (800-22ANTEC), Monday through Friday, 10:30am to 3:00pm Pacific Standard Time.

Back