PC FPS Drops to 0 / Freezing?

By Lowken
Aug 7, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. I think I posted this in the right section of the forums. But, I have been having an issue for the last 2 months or so with my Computers Frame rates dropping to 0 / Freezing on me for just a split second. And I mean .05 - 1 second of freezing. I'm having trouble finding out the issue. So I figured I'd ask you guys.

Basicly, I start my computer up and go to play so games. I have absolutely NO issue whatsoever for a few hours. Then out of nowhere I get these type of "Freezes". It's a little hard to explain but it's like a slur. I play a game called Path of Exile that allows me to see my FPS on a graph. Whenever I experience these "Fps drops/Freezes" it drops instantly to 0 and freezes just for a second. But, It doesn't only happen on that game. But it does it to my computer in general.

So, I decided to look into it and see if I could find what the issue was. I've done multiple things like seeing if my cards were overheating, if my cards were up-to-date, and seeing if I had a virus. I ran full scans on my pc and came up with nothing. The cards were up to date and running at good temperatures under a full load. (50c). I really can't prove it's not a virus but highly un-likely becuase of the fact that the freezing doesn't start right away. But, a good 4-6 hours later and repeats non-stop untill I restart my computer.

The only thing I can think of right now is possibly my power supply isn't good enough? Though, I've read and they say that a Power Supply doesn't 'cuase FPS drops. But, if it were a freeze maybe it's possible? My Power supply is fairly bad.(385W).

PC Specs -
    Nvidia Geforce GT 640 x2
    Intel Core i7 3770 CPU
    8GB Ram
    64 Bit

Sorry if I repeat myself. I'm a gamer that loves to game. But bad with computers tech-wise. Contradicting isn't it? :D Thanks for all your help in advance.
  2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,689   +153

Try another power supply

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.