PC Freezing at windows Setup. Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackjack

Hello Everyone,

I've just built my first PC. Everything seems to be running fine, But i'm having difficulty loading the OS (Windows XP). I'll load the OS CD into the disc drive, restart my PC. As it boots, it seems to get to the BIOS Setup fine, and it finds the OS CD in the drive, and windows begins setup. At some point during the windows setup, my PC will freeze, and i'll be forced to reboot. When it boots, it will freeze again at different stages of the setup. What's the problem?!

Now I've just realized that it's not only freezing at the OS Setup screen, but now the BIOS Setup screen as well! Again, It keeps freezing at different times. My only thought is to maybe clear the CMOS? But i'm still unsure. I'm absolutly stumped.

Anybody have any ideas and/or solutions?

Thanks!

As you know it can be many things especially with a home built pc. Make sure that all the connections are correct and tight. Reseat the memory (remove one if you have more than one) modules and video card and unplug anything not necessary to boot the computer. Is the boot drive a SATA drive? If so make sure you press F6 during Windows Setup.

Another fact that may be of importance. It seems that the longer I keep the PC Unplugged, the further into the installation it will proceed. In the end, it will still freeze up, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back