PC not taking audio in from monitor

I have a monitor connected to my laptop through an HMDI cable and a headset connected to the monitor by audio and microphone jacks. My laptop sees the display audio just fine, but cannot see the microphone on the headset in recording devices settings. Can anyone help me bridge this gap? I've looked for some time now.

Have you run dxdiag and were results 'ok'?

I think it is possible that the HDMI connection is configured with audio even though there is no audio there and that this is being identified as the audio in preference to the jacks which are muted. Device Manger might explain this if you check the audio entries.

This discussion might offer a 'cure': https://www.dell.com/community/Lapt...udio-to-headphone-speaker-output/td-p/4137160

EDIT: Some folks have had success but removing the Realtec drivers and rebooting. PnP then reinstalls.

Last edited:
Have you run dxdiag and were results 'ok'?

I think it is possible that the HDMI connection is configured with audio even though there is no audio there and that this is being identified as the audio in preference to the jacks which are muted. Device Manger might explain this if you check the audio entries.

This discussion might offer a 'cure': https://www.dell.com/community/Lapt...udio-to-headphone-speaker-output/td-p/4137160

EDIT: Some folks have had success but removing the Realtec drivers and rebooting. PnP then reinstalls.
Thank you for the info. I will run dxdiag as well and investigate the thread and update this thread with the results.

EDIT: I am not sure if the "audio in" jack on the monitor is for microphones, so I have a split adapter to take both jacks into the headphone receiver jack on the monitor. The same problem still occurs with the lack of recognition from the computer on the mic side.

You can probably download manuals which have answers. Perhaps you can offer specific details about monitor model and system. This would let us help more - especially if you can detail how you are currently wired. Cross-wiring with split adapter may not be good idea.

Back