PC Reseting Passes POST Resets, no BIOS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone I'm new here and I have an issue with my PC. Here is the issue I have had the PC for a year now and it worked fine all that time about 2 weeks ago it started having issues, the fan was running very fast or so the Probe II utility was telling me. So what do I do I go and buy a new heat sink and fan, alright a little bit more on the heating issue, I play WoW and I like to listen to my music in the background so I normally have something else running in the backHello everyone I'm new here and I have an issue with my PC. Here is the issue I have had the PC for a year now and it worked fine all that time about 2 weeks ago it started having issues, the fan was running very fast or so the Probe II utility was telling me. So what do I do I go and buy a new heat sink and fan, alright a little bit more on the heating issue, I play WoW and I like to listen to my music in the background so I normally have something else running in the background does it tax my CPU never did it before so it was weird that it started up so I chucked it up to bad CPU fan, but the thing is that the CPU itself was running at the correct temperature or so the Utility said, it was running within the parameters that it should run. The thing that got me though was that the computer would be really sluggish if I ran WoW and WinAmp in the background, so I would kill WinAmp and the game would still run sluggish at this point is when I bought the new fan and heat sink. The fan I bought connects to 3 pins, I did not really change the settings for it to run on only that but it should not be an issue but I probably should have ah well live and learn. Ok brings me to the present day, after the install of the new heat sink and fan it would still run slugish if there was WinAmp and the game running so no more winamp for me no big deal I have a second computer and a Laptop. Last night I turn off my computer doing the whole Windows Shutdown, I leave it shutting down and I kill my monitor, after a while the darn thing still not shut off so what do I do I hard kill it instead of turning on my monitor and checking to see if anything is wrong dumb move I know but we all have done that one before where you are forced to shut it down because it wont do it on its own. Now I get up this morning and I turn it on all I hear is a beep then a reset another beep and so on and so forth and well not doing anything else. So there is the problem following specs for my board:

Board: ASUS P5ND2-SLI
CPU: Intel Pentium D (Its either a 2.2 or 2.8 I don't even remember now.)
Video: Nvidia-6600 (2 of them wanted to run them SLI but they would make the system hang. So yeah had issues with this system from the start.)
Hard Drive/s: Got 2 SATA2 drives, a 160G and a 320G. Running windows on the 160 that was the original one I had the 320 came later both Western Digitals.
Memory: 2 512-DDR2-667 so 1G of Memory
Sound Card: Original Audigy2 went bad, second card the Live 5.1 cheap but it works (So again issues there, the card somehow went bad no idea how.)
Power Supply: I am running the Antec TPII 550W

So there's the system not to shabby but not that great either enough to run WoW and all the other stuff I do.

Now what have I done?
Well I am a PC guy I studied PC's and all that but this one has me stomped I have not ran into this issue before and was wondering if anyone out there has.
First thing that comes to mind BIOS got mest up some how, but lets go over the basics first and cover all bases.
Since the last time that I opened it to install the new fan I did a full clean up so maybe I mest something up. (Not the first time that it has happen I'm only human :), I build my own PC's both the ones I have are not from any manufacturer so I tend to know PC's well, most of the time hehe.)

Check cables: Check
Check CPU, Heat sink, Fan: Check (Though I did screw up and did not clean the CPU enough I think when I put the gel on. I know bad idea.)
Check Memory: Check (Did not do it until I was writing this and did notice one of them was not sitting correctly could be the problem will check soon.)
Bare Bones: Check
Config 1: CPU, CPU Fan, One video card, one sound card DVD drive, HD.
Config 2: CPU, Fan, DVD Drive, HD.
Config 3: CPU, Fan, HD.
Config 4: CPU, Fan, No Hard drive, trying to see if it could just boot to BIOS or something.
Config 5: CPU, Fan, Other Video Card just in case the card had an issue.

On every Config it passes POST but keeps reseting.

So lets see if the BIOS is the issue:

Reset BIOS: Check
Found the Jumper, set it so I could reset took out the battery.

Passes POST and resets once more, Passes post keeps reseting.

Check Power Supply: Check
The power supply seems to be fine I did not bust out the mutilmeter to check and make sure it is passing the correct voltages to the various points but I probably should of had a POST error concerning the power supply if it was the issue but you never know. Have not had power issues before, the power seems to be being delivered from all I can tell all appropriate LED's turn on though it could still be the PS since the exhaust fan starts sometimes and others it does not thats the case fan, the PS fan comes on like regularly.

Potential issue there since one of the many beep codes indicated that it is a power issue if it is a single short beep and this happens even before anything else happens so I might have a bad power supply.

Now the fact that BIOS itself is the program that executes POST it is strange that it can be giving me the single beep indicating that POST is good.

Will be trying out the Power supply from the other computer later to check and see if in fact the power supply that it currently has, has some how gone bad.

I think that, thats all I have tried. Now wanted to see if anyone has run into this issue before and if so what you did to fix it. Could I have cooked the Mobo somehow or the CPU itself though I see nothing that would indicate that I have cooked either hard to tell.

Let me know I would love to know how to fix this issue cause I like fixing computers and when I run into an issue that I cant fix it bothers me a lot.

Pablo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back