Not open for further replies.
Let me start by posting my PC spec.

Core 2 duo 2.17 GHz Overclocked to 3.0Ghz
2 8800 Gts 640 Mb Superclocked Graphic cards In SLI
4 Gigs Corsair XMS Extreme DDRII 800 Ram
2 250 GB Hard drives
1 DVD drive
Windows Vista 64 Bit Ultimate Edition.

My problem is this. I installed COD 4 and it started up fine. But as soon as I adjusted the graphic settings to High, and the setting to 2 graphic cards and hit apply. My PC turns off.
Same problem for Americas Army. Except i get a blue screen, and have to restart PC.

I also get the same issue with 3d Mark. As soon as I start the test, It loads then MY PC shuts off.

I adjusted my Ram Voltages to 2.o volts, other than that everything is at default.

My 680 SLI Mobo has a plugin option on the MOBO itself for SLi Power which I am not utilizing because I dont have the proper adapter. Dont know if that would make a difference or not.

So, with all that being said. I am in need of some desperate help here. I have no clue as to what I need to do in order to fix this issue. It seems as if maybe my PC is unstable and needs to be adjusted but honestly I wouldnt know what the settings would need to be as far as voltages, Timing, Etc.
I was also told that my SLI ready 680 Watt power supply should be plenty.

Anyone out there have any suggestions or ideas as to what I can do to solve this issue. Getting really frustrated here.

Thans alot!

I spoke to a tech expert at ASUS last month regarding my board which uses the Nvidia 650i chipset. The man thought that I was talking about the 680i chipset. His advice to me was to keep an eye on the condition of my ram modules. He stated that the 680i chip has had a lot of trouble reports of ram modules going bad as weeks of computing goes on. Being that he was talking about your chip, you may want to do the 'one by one' ram module check.In many cases of computers having weird problems under some pressure, checking the ram is always a 'must do'. It will eliminate this part of your hardware as the cause of the headache. G' Luck. Also, you could try adjusting your ram timing (loosening it up). I had to reset my settings to 5-5-5-18; from the stock 4-4-4-12.

When you say "everything is at default" do you mean that your CPU voltage is too? At 3gHz you will almost certainly need a little more.

I suggest you add a little CPU voltage in small steps.

Thanks for the replies Phil & pdyckman@comcas.
As far as the ram goes, All my ram seems to be fine. As far as the timing goes My ram is 4-4-4-12. To be honest with ya, I really dont know what that means, or what I should try and adjust that too.

When you say "everything is at default" do you mean that your CPU voltage is too? At 3gHz you will almost certainly need a little more.

Yes, I didnt adjust anything else. Well, except last night I Over clocked my ram to 900, and set the ram voltage from 1.85, to 2.15.
Other than that, nothing. I really dont know what to set any of the voltages too, or what voltages I should be adjusting.

Did you check your Overclock is stable before trying to play games etc?

Running a big SuperPi is a good indication - "Not Exact in Round" means it's not stable - but Prime or something Overnight is better.

If the RAM is crapping out under stress, it'll do exactly what you describe.

I'd reset everything back to stock, check for stabilty, then start O/Cing in small increments - just because Joe Bloggs CPU does 3.2GHz, it doesn't mean they all will unfortunately.

I set everything back to default. And PC seems to run fine.
As soon as I overclock slightly it becomes unstable and shuts down.

What is causing it to shut down like that?

Hello friend! You don't know enough about overclocking to overclock just yet. There are many fine overclocking guides out there. If you Google for them they should be very easy to find. Looking for an overclocking guide for your motherboard would be even better as there is usually somebody out there who has spent hundreds of hours working with your board and can give you great advice. Raising you processor and/or memory speed usually requires more processor and/or memory voltage.

Many motherboards will overclock the PCI-E bus as you raise the Front Side Bus. Raising the PCI-E bus doesn't normally help your computer run faster, but it does cause havoc on a regular basis for many of the systems in your computer. You should make sure your PCI-E bus in running at 100MHz and does not increase as you raise the FSB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back