PC Starting up but after about 2-4 seconds, it shuts down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I have a computer that I have built about 2 or 3 months ago. It works great up until the other day I decided to turn it on, but it turned on for about 3 seconds, then shut off and it does it every time I try to boot it up. I have changed the power supply and it does the exact same thing.

System Specs are as followed:

AMD Athlon 3800+ (Single Core)
1GB Ram
450W PSU
NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GTS graphics card
ASUS M2N-MX SE Motherboard
160 GB Hard Drive

That is pretty much it along with 4 other fans here and there. But as you see, I have heard lots about this problem so I decided to change PSU's but it does the exact same thing. So I am thinking its not my PSU.

Please help, its my gaming computer and is literally killing me cuz its not working!! lol but yea, any advice/help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks! :)

Do you get any display on the monitor (if so, see any errors)? Any BIOS beeps at all (even just a single beep)? Does the entire system appear to start normally and then just fail? What was the old PSU and what is the new PSU?

Try reseating and cleaning your components and then booting.

Try booting the system with only one RAM module, the CPU, motherboard and PSU of course. If it boots and stays on, add things back gradually until you get a failure. Sound and video would probably be the wisest things to add next considering the fact that any errors will be brought to your attention through these devices.

I would have to ask the same questions... Do you get a post screen?????
If not, I would think that the prob, would be a bad CPU...

actually no, i do not get a screen on the moniter whatsoever just a blank screen. I will try to do as that guy said, gradually add hardware. The power supply I switched to was a 420 Watt but since it did the same thing i really dont think its my power supply. I kinda think its my cpu but ill do the process of elimination

I would suggest that before you trash the CPU that you look at every capacitor on your motherboard VERY closely... What you are looking for is domed tops and or a powdery like corrosion... Sometimes they also leak a yellowish like oil. Sometimes it is very faint so you need a good light and a magnifying glass.. If you see any of this anywhere- your board is fried... Doming is most common..
Time to do an upgrade! If all looks ok, I would say as before- bad cpu.. Let me know by posting back what is is or if you need more help..

I'd make sure your temperatures are okay before replacing anything.

Reseat your heatsink and CPU (clean the old thermal compound off and apply fresh). Reseat the single module of RAM you used during the test into another slot. You can try clearing the CMOS as well.

You're also absolutely 100% positive you have everything connected properly? Especially the PSU?

If it still proves to be dead, and there aren't any visible capacitor issues as "wanna be geek" suggests, I'd try a known working module of RAM and CPU. If it's dead after that, it'd theoretically have to be your motherboard.

When you first built this computer a few months ago did you use thermal compound on the cpu??? Also, did you use the correct heatsink???
AMD cpu's are known for running on the hot side and can run hotter than an Intel with no prob but they will still burn up quick... Back in the day you could fire up a socket 370 and run it for a few with no heat sink without damaging it say if you just wanted to see if the mobo was good. Do that with an Athlon and it is fried in seconds. Before you rebuild make sure that you use GOOD thermal compound- not the crap that comes with the cpu... Even the stuff from the factory that they put on is garbage and they always use too much. Only use about a grain if rice worth.
You can get mobo's fairly cheap at www.geeks.com just get something that will allow you to upgrade componants later down the road... Good luck!

ok, i checked the capacitors and everything seemed allright, the PSU is properly connected to everything, and i dont really know, Ive been meaning to get an SLI capable mobo and I dont know which to pick, intel or AMD. If it was AMD i would get the Athlon X2 6000+ but dont know about intels stuff. But until i get new ones, ill keep you guys posted and try to see what i can find on this.

I have noticed that if I unplug the 4-Prong power cable on the mobo, that the computer actually runs but i have no signal from any USB devices, or my monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back