PC takes more than 3 min to start

My pc is taking too long time to start. In task manager , the boot time shows 16/17 seconds all the time, though it takes more than 3 minutes for my device to get started . My device specification:
Device name DESKTOP-UV2C5PE
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3400G with Radeon Vega Graphics 3.70 GHz
Installed RAM 16.0 GB (13.9 GB usable)
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

New build? You put it together yourself? It sounds like it has the RAM set too aggressively...the long startup might be memory training until it finds a frequency it can run at.....try going into the BIOS settings and running the RAM at the DDR4 default speed of 2133MHz

Gee, you forgot to mention the most important part of the equation, is this an SSD, or a plain old fashioned HDD?

You also run "msconfig", to see if any startup applications are slowing up the start. speed.

We also need to know where in the boot process it seems to be freezing.
there are four main places:
bios screen,
initial boot (spinning dots),
you have graphics but no login screen
after the login screen but before the desktop

Some machine also seem to sit there for a long time after the desktop finally comes up but is not responding.

Anti-malware can greatly prolong loading times, especially programs like Partizan that load before windows and scan all files as the OS loads. Utilities such as firewalls, system monitors, etc. also extend loading times as not only must they load but also get scanned by your AV in the process. Also, bad sectors or major fragmentation on the HD can slow the system.

My system, from hitting the power switch til I can sit down and accomplish anything, takes over five minutes to start; but, after disconnecting from the internet, I can disable all services except basic MS and startup is less than two minutes.

Do basic diagnostics/cleanup - memtest, chkdsk, sfc, defrag (unless SSD), empty recycle bin, clear temp files, then use msconfig to disable all but MS services, and see what boot times are. If acceptable, add your other services back until you find the one(s) causing the delays.

Back