TechSpot

PC won't boot

By DKulzer
Oct 8, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. About 2 or 3 weeks ago I upgraded most of my PC. I got an ASRock Z77 Extreme 4, 3770k, and 8gb of GSkill 1600. I broke one of the pins on my cooler when removing it from the old mobo so I was using the stock Intel cooler. Last week I upgraded to a Corsair H80 and HIS 7870. I put the new cooler and GPU in 2 nights ago and now have problems. I had to move my DVD burner, 1 hard drive, and redo some wiring in order to get the new stuff to fit. When I booted up it just cycles, doesn't even make it to the splash screen. I keep getting two errors in the LED display area. Error 10 (PEI Core is started) and error 55 (Memory not installed). My memory is definitely installed. I have pulled both sticks out, switched sockets, flopped sticks, and whatever else you can do. I've emailed ASRock with no response so far. I don't have any other sticks or RAM to test with. Any suggestions?

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,915   +167

Did the CPU overheat with the stock cooler installed?

3. DKulzer

DKulzer TS Rookie Topic Starter

Not that I can tell. The highest I've seen the temp go is 51 during normal use. It got up to 91 during the Prime test when I first got it but I think the max temp for that processor is around 105. Everything seemed to be fine until I added the H80 and 7870. I'm going to get some different RAM and see if that changes anything.

4. DKulzer

DKulzer TS Rookie Topic Starter

I tried booting with just one stick and it boots fine. I did hold in the Clear CMOS button for a good 10 seconds before I booted with just one stick. BTW, I have 2 x 4gb of G-Skill Ares Ram, it came free with the MOBO. My PC will boot fine with either stick but only in the first 2 slots. If I put either stick in slots 3 or 4, whether singly or paired, it won't boot. I ran Memtest on both sticks in slot 1 and I get no errors. I guess my 3 and 4 slots died. That seems to be a somewhat common problem on this board.

5. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,915   +167

Sounds logical, good luck;)

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.