PC won't power off even if Windows shuts down

I recently bought a new evga gtx 550ti gpu for gaming. It works great so i decided to buy another 1 to run it in sli. My motherboard is asus m4n75td. After buying the new 1 i installed it alone in the pc and ran video memmory test to ensure that the card was good. It passed without any errors. So i finally decided to place them in sli since they both passed the tests. After placing them into sli and installing the latest drivers 285.62 i noticed that everytime i shut down my pc windows shuts down but the pc doesn't power down (all the fans and lights remain on). I thought it was the drivers so i tried the older ones with the same problem. I finally decided to put the computer to sleep and all the fans powered down when it entered sleep! So i searched online and tried allowing the computer to power down the IEEE 1394 bus controller which didn't work. I reformatted my system with the same windows 7 x64 which was an epic fail cuz the problem remained. If i remove the drivers for the cards the computer powers down with no problem. If i use 1 card with the drivers the computer powers down as normal. The problem only arises when the cards are in sli and the drivers are installed. Thanks for your help in advance guys! :D

Maybe you need to update your bios. And as always make sure you have the latest windows updates and video card drivers(as im sure you do).

i've updated everything bios, card drivers, windows updated. the computer powers off fine when i put it to sleep. The pc isn't overclocked either. If i remove the drivers the pc powers down fine. if i use 1 card with the drivers it powers down fine. i'm also talking to some tech support from evga and they say it might have something to do with the power supply but i recently had 2 9800gtx+ in sli with no problems.

if you have ruled out the software, it could be the PSU. A bad PSU can really mess your system up. Test it with a PSU tool and a multi-meter.

I have the exact same problem as well as the same motherboard m4n75td. I had no problem running my two 470gtx's until I updated my drivers a while back. And every subsequent driver has the same issue. I tried everything and the only thing that would allow my pc to power off after shutdown was reverting to an older driver, I can't remember for sure but I think the last driver version that worked for me was 275.33. I don't use it because, aside from the annoying as hell shutdown issue, the newer drivers don't hurt my performance. I sure hope somebody figures this out because i've given up, haha. It's become habit for me to disable sli everytime i'm about to shutdown.

good luck man

Oh, I should also mention that both my cards are EVGA as well

Not PSU but driver related nvidia vs this mb

I rolled back to 280.26 drivers i believe that was the series and it will shutdown properly. So this leads me to believe its somewhere in Nvidias code. Unfortunately I need the latest drivers to play BF3 so its the old disable SLI b4 shutdown.

ASUS M4N75TD
CoolerMaster HAF 922 Case with 3/ 200mm fans 4/ 120mm fans
Phenom II X6 1055T 3.8ghz @ 1.465v (35c idle/55c load max)
w/ Corsair H50 (push/pull 120s set to intake air from the back)
4Gigs(2x2g)Patriot Viper Series DDR3-1600(8-8-8-20)@1.8v
2xMSI N560GTX-Ti SLI
850w ThermalTake TR2 RX modular PSU
2x60gb OCZ Vertex 2 SSD RAID-0 for OS and frequently played games
2x500gb WD green RAID-0 (striped)
ASUS 23.5" HDMI Monitor
Windows 7 x64
Razor DeathAdder 3500dpi mouse
Logitech G15 Keyboard (blue ole school one!)
Logitech G35 7.1 usb Headset

It has to be the board

I have the same board m4n75td and i will not shut down with two cards installed, but will shut down with only one. Also the stupid board doesn't like SLI, if im running a newer high graphics game such as Skyrim the screen goes black and flickers and then comes back, and i get a display adapter has stopped responding and recovered, but it won't do this with just one card installed. I have already sent both my GPU's back for warranty and received new ones and that wasn't the problem. It has to be the motherboard. As soon as i switched my nvidia settings to SLI disabled, one card running phys x its stopped the screen flashing, but if u set phys x to cpu or turn on sli the screen flashes and the computer won't shut off unless the power switch is pushed. I also spoke with Asus about how the board with only one card won't switch to 16x like its supposed too, there answer was i don't think its a bios issue. waste of time. Im probably going to buy a new board, seeing how there is no fix for either issue. Oh and i have used the new drivers and now are using the beta drivers as well still no help

Fixed

Download the GEFORCE SLI PROFILE TOOL

then import the attached txt file ive included. Then try Shutdown with SLI enabled. Then Smile ear to ear.

Attachments

• NVIDIA Profiles.zip
    49.5 KB · Views: 66
Its the board

I have the same issue, for so long i really thought that this is a isolated issue and maybe my board only until i start looking around and found many others have the same issue. I have 2 identical asus gtx 460's and no matter what i do, everytime the SLi is activated, windows will not shutdown. Until i start using asus own driver for it but the sad part, its old. Its 267.85. Running newer games requires newer and latest driver and this makes things sad :-(. Now i am saving money to get another board that will and hope to support sli encoding better than this board. I really believe there is something asus can do about it cause their own driver works like a charm but they drop their support for this board and their own gtx 460 drivers. Lesson learned, pay a little bit more for a better board.

Love the board, love the features, not the headaches..........

I have the same issue, for so long i really thought that this is a isolated issue and maybe my borad only until i start looking around and found many others have the same issue. I have 2 identical asus gtx 460's and no matter what i do, everytime the SLi is activated, windows will not shutdown. Until i start using asus own driver for it but the sad part, its old. Its 267.85. Running newer games requires newer and latest driver and this makes things sad :-(. Now i am saving money to get another board that will and hope to support sli encoding better than this board. I really believe there is something asus can do about it cause their own driver works like a charm but they drop their support for this board and their own gtx 460 drivers. Lesson learned, pay a little bit more for a better board.

Love the board, love the features, not the headaches..........

Did you try the fix I posted it works on the newest drivers?! Not a hitch on shutdown anymore

Help

I am so sorry for being a newb. I need help of how and where do i import this profile. All i know is that install the latest driver 285.62 then where do i import and what folder? It just say open until i cannot open anymore folders in the nvidia folder in the program files when i am trying to import. Again, i am so sorry for being a newb here. I just want my SLI to work without anymore issues. Thank you so much.

I am so sorry for being a newb. I need help of how and where do I import this profile. All I know is that install the latest driver 285.62 then where do I import and what folder? It just say open until I cannot open anymore folders in the nvidia folder in the program files when I am trying to import. Again, I am so sorry for being a newb here. I just want my SLI to work without anymore issues. Thank you so much.

google geforce sli profile tool

download the tool and use the file I provided.

let me know if this works for you as it worked for me. then maybe we can get NVIDIA to address the issue or ASUS

http://www.geeks3d.com/20100528/manage-your-sli-profiles-with-nvidia-geforce-sli-profile-tool/

Attachments

• Geforce_SLI_Profile_Tool.7z
    173.5 KB · Views: 24
what i did to the sli profiles:

I actually discovered that the problem is somewhere in the explorer.exe SLI profile.
Profile "Windows Explorer"
ShowOn GeForce
ProfileType Application
Executable "explorer.exe"
Setting ID_0x1033cec1 = 0x00000001
Setting ID_0x1033dcd2 = 0x00000001
Setting ID_0x1057eb71 = 0x00000000
Setting ID_0x1095def8 = 0x00000004
EndProfile

one of these setting ID_ might be the final answer or how it relates to this motherboard.

no go

i went and got the sli profile tool. i import the profile you provided then restart. I turn my PC off without SLI and it didnt turn off properly as everything is off but the fans are still going. Have to hard power off. Turn it on again and this time, turn the SLI on. Turn it off again and sad face cause still no go. I really dont know what else to do. I had high hopes. I am glad that it worked for you. I will uninstall my nvidia drivers and do a clean install, do the import profile and hope for the best. Thank you for all your help. I'll let you know if it work or not but hope it will. Thanks again.

i went and got the sli profile tool. i import the profile you provided then restart. I turn my PC off without SLI and it didnt turn off properly as everything is off but the fans are still going. Have to hard power off. Turn it on again and this time, turn the SLI on. Turn it off again and sad face cause still no go. I really dont know what else to do. I had high hopes. I am glad that it worked for you. I will uninstall my nvidia drivers and do a clean install, do the import profile and hope for the best. Thank you for all your help. I'll let you know if it work or not but hope it will. Thanks again.

Interesting Im running win7x64 btw if it helps for reference. Newest beta drivers as well.
CoolandQuiet off C1E off Virtual on OC'd to 3.8ghz phenom II 1055 x6
Core Calibration OFF and it does sleep mode as well but the logitech g15 has to be disabled first.

drivers

i am using the latest driver, 285.62. Should i use the beta? What is it you are using by the way?
I have windows 7 64 bit as well.
Thank you again.

Phenom II 965 x4 @ 3.7GHz
Cool n Quiet on
I have Logitech G13 gamepad and G9 installed
I havent use sleep mode on desktop ever. Only on my laptop.

my specs

ASUS M4N75TD
CoolerMaster HAF 922 Case with 3/ 200mm fans 4/ 120mm fans
Phenom II X6 1055T 3.8ghz @ 1.465v (35c idle/55c load max)
w/ Corsair H50 (push/pull 120s set to intake air from the back)
4Gigs(2x2g)Patriot Viper Series DDR3-1600(8-8-8-20)@1.8v
2xMSI N560GTX-Ti SLI
850w ThermalTake TR2 RX modular PSU
2x60gb OCZ Vertex 2 SSD RAID-0 for OS and frequently played games
2x500gb WD green RAID-0 (striped)
ASUS 23.5" HDMI Monitor
Windows 7 x64
Razor DeathAdder 3500dpi mouse
Logitech G15 Keyboard (blue ole school one!)
Logitech G35 7.1 usb Headset

what ive learned with logitech

i am using the latest driver, 285.62. Should i use the beta? What is it you are using by the way?
I have windows 7 64 bit as well.
Thank you again.

Phenom II 965 x4 @ 3.7GHz
Cool n Quiet on
I have Logitech G13 gamepad and G9 installed
I havent use sleep mode on desktop ever. Only on my laptop.

Try newest drivers with the logitech gear or remove one or both to troubleshoot. I have noticed that sideshow service will really screw up shutdowns and sleepmode.

[Ok im going to rollback to the drivers that work and pull the SLI config maybe there lies the answer.]

found a difference

From old 266 drivers that were stable to shutdown

Profile "Desktop Windows Manager"
ShowOn GeForce
ProfileType Application
Executable "dwm.exe"
EndProfile

Difference in newer drivers

Profile "Desktop Windows Manager"
ShowOn GeForce
ProfileType Application
Executable "dwm.exe"
Setting ID_0x1034cb89 = 0x00000000
EndProfile

my rig

nothing fancy

maybe my specs lies the answer.......

*Asus M4N75TD AM3 nVidia nForce 750a SLI ATX AMD Motherboard
*Amd Phenom II 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz AM3 @ 3.7GHz
*G. Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB(4x2GB) DDR3 1600
*Asus nVidia GTX460 DirectCU TOP in SLI
*Western Digital Black Caviar 1TB 32mb Cache
*Cooler Master Hyper TX3
*PC Power and Cooling Silencer MK II 950watts 80+ Silver Certified
*Cooler Master HAF 912 with 6 120mm Silverstone fans
*Asus MS246H 23.6" 1080P HDMI Widescreen LCD Monitor
*Logitech G13 Gamepad
*Logitech G9 Gaming Mouse
*TUrtle Beach X12 Gaming Headset

Reinstalling newest Nvidia drivers and trying the DWM modify.

edit: didnt work!!! wtf

as soon as i pull the explorer.exe profile it shutdown correctly.

btw: i turn off link state power management in the power config

dunno if it makes a difference or not but i imported with the SLI bridge activated @ the time.

I also pressed 4 one time during boot and accidentally triggered ACC function which means core unlocker. Then realizing this turned the function off in bios (core calibration on the chipset page)

Sleep mode

Just to let you know, the sleep mode works and the whole PC shutsdown, all fans just the annoying blinking power LED is on. Maybe i can put my desktop in sleep mode rather than turning it off and just do restart once in a while until a solution arrises.

Let me know what happen after you re install with modified profile.

Thank you again for helping out, really greatful.

Just to let you know, the sleep mode works and the whole PC shutsdown, all fans just the annoying blinking power LED is on. Maybe i can put my desktop in sleep mode rather than turning it off and just do restrat once n a while until a solution arrises.

Let me know what happen after you re install with modified profile.

Thank you again for helping out, really greatful.

thats what I did b4 i found this fix that worked for me. I put it in sleepmode but SSD's dont like sleepmode so i hear :(

I hope that maybe this might get the attention of ASUS since it ultimately is their fault not NVIDIA. A possible hotfix would be nice to the bargain bin overclockers out there.

AT the very least some folk might get the same results with the SLI modify as I did and others might be apt enough to find a better solution.

From what ive gathered on my system

fixedv.jpg
I put the explorer.exe back to default state in SLI config. Then I went to Win7 manager and fiddled with the shutdown timers.
Voila! got the shutdown proper, I even turned off AC to fully test if it worked.

trying it out

I will try this out but do i have to add these string values? because when i looked into my registry i dont have any of these values in there? Thank you once again.

Back