PC won't power up, please help

By ilushkin
Jan 17, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hello hardware gurus!
    I have some weird problem. I took off the case from my machine. Then I replaced the floppy drive. The I connected back the power cable back. Once I did that the fan went "booo" and then goes silent (please note that i didnt even touch the power button yet). Then I connect the rest: keyboard and monitor. However, once I press the power button, nothing happens: no fans, nothing....
    I'm so upset now. I need some really good suggestion/advice on the next step. Please assume that motherboard replacement will be the last in my list, because it's so pricey.
  2. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,419   +281

Reset your CMOS. Try again.

Why were you replacing a floppy drive?

Nobody worth listening to would suggest a motherboard replacement without many more details and troubleshooting on your part. So you don't need to tell us what we can and can't do.
  3. ilushkin

ilushkin Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

This is rack server and has 3 power supplies, 3 vents and 24 harddrives. Motherboard would be sooooo costly.... I just hope that this is not the problem Is there any way that i can figure out whats up, down in this cae?
  4. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,916   +9

Sounds like BIOS was set to turn power on after a power failure, at least it would explain why you didn't need to press the power button.

Check the PSUs (weren't they redundant?) if they work - connect the green wire to any black and it should power on.
  5. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 10,074   +13

6. ilushkin

ilushkin Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

thanks

thank you guys. All i had to do was to take out the cmos battery for a moment....
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.