Pc won't start monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

groovewerx

i've moved everything into a new case and now when i start the machine i get no monitor. i've tested the monitor and it works, i've tried both agp and pci video cards with no luck. everything worked fine in the other box but i dont think thats the problem and the memory and card are well seated.

any tips??

Originally posted by groovewerx
any tips??

Try running the system bare bones... (just cpu, ram, hdd and vid.card..) (If it still doesn't work, remove hdd...)

It could be as you upgraded (as I guess you did), you didn't get a new PSU... And the one you've got one give the vid.card enough juice to run....

Or it could be that the north- (or should that be south-) bridge is faulty, thus the AGP/PCI won't work...

Try the vid.card in another mobo if you have that option...

If it's neither of these, please post specs before and after so we can see what has changed...

And one last thing... When you boot the 'puter, do you get any sounds from the pc speaker telling you of an error/it's progress?

Is the case the only thing you changed ?

Maybe the PSU on te new case isn't powerfull enough or maybe there's simply a problem with the power button. Do you hear the CPU & PSU fan starting when you hit the power switch ?

Make sure the I/O shield isnt touching any of the connectors. Same thing happened to me when I replaced a mobo.

thanks guys, i've tried those before i posted here. all parts work in other boxes including the psu.

the mobo is an epox bx7+100 with a celeron 1000 and 512mb/pc100 sdram. 20gb hdd (i've tried 4 brands). ati video card (i've tried 3 models agp & pci).

Originally posted by groovewerx
thanks guys, i've tried those before i posted here. all parts work in other boxes including the psu.

the mobo is an epox bx7+100 with a celeron 1000 and 512mb/pc100 sdram. 20gb hdd (i've tried 4 brands). ati video card (i've tried 3 models agp & pci).

If all the parts including the PSU work in a nother BOX, I'd suggest getting this one replaced. Like I said it might be a problem with the power switch or who knows what else.

Ok, you said the monitor works on another system, does another monitor work on this system? If all you did was move the components from the old box to this box, then the only variable I can see would be the power button/reset and LEDs which are usually all on a small board. It is unlikely that this is the problem though if the system unit is powering up.

Mr. Garibaldi has the best advice though, that is one of the basic troubleshooting techniques. After you boot up, add one device and boot again, repeat until the problem returns.

I also noticed that you said "all parts work in other boxes" does this mean that the parts were all taken from different computers to build this machine?

i have several pcs here. this one in particular consists of parts removed from one box and placed into another (including psu and power buttons). i've traded the new faceplate for the old because of the fancy paint job i put on it.

in testing the parts i dimantled the new rig and installed its parts in a few of my other pcs and yes the parts do work.

along with several pcs i have enough monitors to test the video cards in this and other boxes. all parts work.

so the buttons are ruled out because they work and all the other parts work for other systems. the case is ruled out because i've built a different system into it.

wtf?!?

Ok, so everything works and has at one time all worked in the same machine. The monitor works when attached to another machine. This machine works when you attact another monitor? That last one is the key to this.

There are only three possible causes for all PC problems, User, Hardware, and Software. From what you have said I'm pretty sure it is not the first one, it doesn't seem to be something you have done or not done. The hardware has all checked out ok you said, and the only variable left is the case. It seems unlikely that the metal box is causing this to happen only to that monitor so all that leaves is software.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back