PC4000 ram at slower speed?

By Loafer
Oct 15, 2004
  1. Hello,

Not sure if I've made a mistake here. But, I have a 2400 Athlon XP and bought an Abit NF7-s mobo to get AGP 8x and Dual channel memory. So basically it's was supposed to run at 2x133mhz FSB. I then bought some crucial PC4000 memory ( thinking of the future). Will this memory run happily at this much slower speed ? I tried it but kept getting error messages when loading win2k.
  2. Justin

Justin TS Rookie Posts: 942

When memory is rated, it is rated "up to" it's selling rating. So, PC4000 ram supposedly is guaranteed to run "up to" it's maximum clock speed of... ~250mhz. It should absolutely just fine at 133mhz as well. If you are getting errors, I suggest you run memtest86 on your machine to see if the memory is faulty.
  3. Loafer

Loafer TS Member Topic Starter Posts: 20

Thanks for reassuring me. The board was actually a 'bargain'' going cheap on a retailers site, I thought I'd get a working board with just manuals/drivers missing. Obviously not... I should know better. It's been RMA'd now.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.