PCI Express connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

stelch

Hello everyone
I have the Intel motherboard D915GAV and the PCI Express card GeForce N6600.
In the motherboard, besides the 2 Power connections (Main power 2x12 connector and ATX12V power 2x2 connector) there is an “Alternative power” 1x4 connector. It the manual it says that this connector provides additional power when using high wattage PCI Express x16 graphics cards.
My question is if I should connect this Alternative power to my Power supply. Does my card ( N6600) requires this connection?

Stelios

Re: First Post

That would be for if you are running in and SLI mode now as I completly despise Intel and their ""Me! ME! ME!" attitude I would not know if that Systemboard has two PCI-e sockets on it but the 1 x 4 socket is a Molex socket and I would not know as InHell SYstem boards are odd at times some of them if you plug it in it won't do anything others if you do you will cook your mobo and GPU. I would call the mobo tech support and talk to them.

Note next time you build a gaming rig go with AMD as the MC is not on your systemboard and when you upgrade the AMD wont bottleneck like the Intel...As when you upgrade the AMD CPU you will upgrade the MC and the memory controler is the real bottleneck on your system... You know just for next time.

Secondgunman
I'm sorry but I didn't understand what you are trying to say. Should I use this connection with this particular card or not?

Here's your answer...

Quoting from the motherboard's manual @ ftp://download.intel.com/design/motherbd/av/C6860002.pdf

When using high wattage PCI Express x16 graphics cards, use one of the following power supply configurations to avoid system instability:

• The preferred method of power delivery is to use a power supply with a 2 x 12 main power cable. In this configuration, use two connectors to provide power to the board:

⎯ The main power connector
⎯ The ATX12V connector

In this configuration, the alternate power connector is not required. The 2 x 12 main power cable can provide up to 144 W of power from the +12 V rail.

• An alternate method of power delivery is to use a power supply has a 2 x 10 main power cable.

In this configuration, use three connectors to provide power to the board:
⎯ The main power connector
⎯ The ATX12V connector
⎯ The alternate power connector

So you need to determine what type of power supply unit (PSU) you have to make a decision.

Respond with specific questions if you're unclear with any of this.

More Simply Stated - YES, you do need it

If you're using a PCI-E x16 card, which yours is, you do need to use the connector - EVEN IF YOU'RE NOT USING AN SLI (2 VIDEO CARDS) CONFIGURATION.

Well thanks guys for all the info.
Well I did plug the Alternative power connector to one of the 4 pin cables of the Power Supply and the PC wouldn't start, so I quickly removed it and all it's OK now.thank God. So it appears that I do not need this connection as dgower2 explained from the manual. Thank you all

Stelios

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back