Pentium 4 and PCI/PCIE video cards

By thomasbandy
Dec 29, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Howdy - I just got an eMachines T5020 from Circuit City, which has a Pentium 4 motherboard and is, according to the website, "PCI-Express ready". Being trusting, I also got a PCI-Express video card. Upon opening the case, I saw that there was no PCIE x16 slot (a blank spot with empty soldering), just a PCIE x1 (useless for video cards, I think...). So I got a regular PCI video card (there are 2 PCI slots, the other has my wireless internet card). Windows started, but after the black screen the hard drive ran continuously for 10 minutes and nothing happened. In BIOS, I changed the onboard video to "PCI" and rebooted; nothing; and tried "PCIE", nothing. Is there another way to disable onboard video, and can I even use a PCI video card if PCIE is semi-built into the architecture (even with no actual slot)? Thanks!!!!
    Thomas in Ann Arbor
  2. moonfruit

moonfruit Newcomer, in training Posts: 37

I had the same problem, I bought my emachine 5250 from PC World where the sales guy said "Yeah, its compatible with all graphics cards...". I decided to have a look around for a graphics cards and emailed PC World to check if my pc was PCI Express. I got an answer "Yes your PC has a PCI-E x16 slot". Great, I thought. Before buying a card I had a look inside the case. Same thing, a blank space where the PCI-E slot should be. Bastards.

Now I am going to have to get a slow PCI card. Grrrrr.
  3. DragonFury

DragonFury Newcomer, in training Posts: 88

i would return it on the basis of false advertisement u should have read the box a lil more thoruoghly it will state its expansion slots or look up the product # on emachines webby .
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.