Philips' 28-inch 4K monitor can be yours for just $599

Shawn Knight

Staff member

philips display monitor 4k displayport 4k ultra hd 288p6ljeb

Earlier this year at CES, Philips announced a couple of new monitors, one being a 28-inch 4K LED backlit display. It seemed respectable enough on paper but its $1,200 MSRP certainly kept it from being a bang-for-your-buck buy.

Fast-forward to present day and that's all changed. Philips issued a press release letting us know that the 288P6LJEB is now available for purchase. Best yet, it's being offered over on Amazon at a "special" price of just $599 with free shipping. Now you've got our attention.

The monitor's specifications claim it provides a resolution of 3,840 x 2,160 @ 60hz with a 1ms response time. Furthermore, it offers 1.07 billion colors, a 300 cd/m² brightness rating and a 1000:1 contrast ratio.

Connectivity options include two USB 2.0 ports, two USB 3.0 ports, VGA, Dual Link DVI, DisplayPort 1.2 and MHL-HDMI.

Philips is also quick to point out its MultiView technology which allows you to connect two computers to the display and use them both simultaneously side-by-side. I can certainly envision scenarios in which this functionality would come in handy.

Amazon's product page actually shows the display was first available on May 30 so it would seem that Philips is a bit late with their press release. With only four customer reviews of the screen posted to Amazon thus far, it's tough to get an idea of whether or not this is a solid buy. Two reviewers gave it a five star rating while the other two issued a one star rating, citing issues with DisplayPort 1.2.

Permalink to story.

I still ended up paying less than the price of the phillips monitor for my Asus PB287Q UHD monitor lol, though this is a decent price.

Soooo, I can't get my $1200 back I spent on my U3011? Hahaha.

Why would you want to? I'm not gonna change my U3014 to this 4K nonsense till the market catches up, which means proper video card support, good choice of 4K content, HDMI 2.0 + DisplayPort 1.3 inputs.

28inch 4k will only be good for gaming or video watching... but not for web-browsing and surfing as its too small of a monitor for that high res... my 30inch 2K monitor (which is also about 600 dollars far better value than this I believe) Is barely big enough to web browser properly sweet spot would be 32 to 34inch for 4k.....

28inch 4k will only be good for gaming or video watching... but not for web-browsing and surfing as its too small of a monitor for that high res... my 30inch 2K monitor (which is also about 600 dollars far better value than this I believe) Is barely big enough to web browser properly sweet spot would be 32 to 34inch for 4k.....
What are you blind in one eye, and can't see out of the other?

What are you blind in one eye, and can't see out of the other?

Then this would be perfect and its half off since you can only use 1 eye

This s u c ks seiki has one with 39 inches monitor/TV for 300. 299 to be exact way better deal. 120 hz if your card can handle.

Soooo, I can't get my $1200 back I spent on my U3011? Hahaha.

Why would you want to? I'm not gonna change my U3014 to this 4K nonsense till the market catches up, which means proper video card support, good choice of 4K content, HDMI 2.0 + DisplayPort 1.3 inputs.

Totally agreed.

Your U3014 is superior to this and only has less resolution. 4k and gaming requires SLI or crossfire minimum. You then have DPI scaling issues amoung other problems no thanks.

Also the screen is two inches smaller and TN!

Totally agreed.

Your U3014 is superior to this and only has less resolution. 4k and gaming requires SLI or crossfire minimum. You then have DPI scaling issues amoung other problems no thanks.

Also the screen is two inches smaller and TN!

Ooohh don't even get me started on how todays GPU's handle demanding games at 4K. It drops 2-3K setups below 40FPS. But if your spending all that $$$ on a 4K monitor and 2-3 GPUs I am sure 35-50FPS will suffice right?

Some setups handle it ok (I guess) but when SLi 780Ti's can't even muster 60FPS on 2-3 year old games without turning settings down you would think most would not find those results impressive?

Last edited:
Although it is relatively cheaper than other 4K monitors, I think I'll wait until there's more content in 4K before investing in a monitor. Sure it's nice to see **** in 4K but there's a lot of things that doesn't support it yet. I'll wait until the prices drop a bit and everybody else catches up to 4K

I bought an Acer 27" MVA (!) 1920 x 1080 monitor last year. I should really take that out of the box and see if it works, before I think about anything in the way of 4K.

I guess they wouldn't take that back now, even at Newegg, if it's DOA...:D

Samsung have had their 28" UHD 4k for $599 and it's their 2nd one. So Philips is a little late to the game. You can even find Samsungs model for under $600 at times. Samsung announced this awhile back but it's been in stores for the last few weeks.

Hopefully Windows 9 will handle 4K scaling better, and by then GPU power will be at the very least noticeably better than what's out now. We're still gonna have to pay $500+ for graphics cards to make a serious attempt at smooth 4K gaming, but it's 4K and the added expense should be expected. In 2 to 3 years is when I'll probably make the jump.

Haha, if it rocks, who cares :D. You can always show off and make fun of your friends with 1080P monitors xD.
It seems everyone is caught up in the pixel race. This is a TN panel, although granted, at least a full 8 bit depth TN panel.

My experience thus far has been the smaller the pixel elements, the worse the off angle viewing becomes with this type of panel. While they advertise 170 x 160, the truth is closer to 70 x 60 before the image degrades. Since the shorter viewing angle spec is the vertical, should you ever want or need to use the monitor in portrait orientation, it would likely be useless for that task.

The 1ms G t0 G spec is attractive to gamers, but I expect they're going to be sitting smack in front of it.

Speaking of gaming, since you don't really have VGA cards to drive this properly in the gaming environment, IMHO, this is a bust.

But look at all the pixels it has! Wow whee!

As far as Philips itself goes, I used to buy their 30 buck DVD players at Walmart. They would never render properly in the shadows, and got worse as they aged.

Conclusion, I pass on this.

Back