PHILIPS DVDR1628P1 Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I have a PHILIPS DVDR1628P1 DVDR/RW drive and i'm having some problems with it. Everytime I use the drive to install games/play cds/Rip cds/ back up dvds etc, the whole computer begins to 'stutter' the mouse becomse a little stuttery and any audio played comes out stuttered too. Also it takes ages to back up dvds, like 4hours. I've updated the firmware to the most recent of 2.4 so has anyone got any ideas how to help me? Many thanks, Jamflan

Replace the drive... with the low prices now, and the fact that you have already upgraded the firmware, don't waste any more time on this

on a desktop, if both device sit on the same channel, it can matter.
but you're right dvd writer are cheap (where cheap is relative - for me it is)

Sorry guys i've updated my specs now, this problem happened about a year ago but I updated the firmware and it worked again, i'm assuming its dying now i guess,

Yes jamflan,
you probably paid a considerable amount for this originally. It seems like the $75+ burners don't last like the $35 ones do. On my 3 year old $35 NEC combo burner I have never updated firmware and I have burned over 300 CD's and DVD's to date

I have burned more than 500 dvd's with my desktops philips (as well) dvd writer and it wasn't cheap when I bought it. well quality is not consistent everywhere.
if you, jamflam, do not use your system drive and the dvd drive on the same ide channel (as master and slave) then, as Tmagic650 said, its probably the best option to get a new one.

Tmagic650, I agree with you and what you said but I always try before I buy :)

It could be that the IDE channel the optical drive is connected to has reverted to slow PIO mode instead of the faster DMA or UDMA mode. In the Device Manager under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers, right click on the channel the optical drive is connected to and under Properties and then Advanced Settings see if it has reverted to PIO mode.

If so, sometimes you can change the mode right there but if it is grayed out, uninstall the channel, reboot and let Windows reinstall it. That usually fixes the transfer mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back