Physically Cleaning Hardware? Possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jasio-

I use compressed air canisters to clean my computer, but its still not enough, there is visible dust on some of my parts, and i'd like to clean them (by physically touching them) but am wondering of some precautions, or tools i can use. I would prefer not to "purchase" anything, and im looking for simple home remodies to clean, not a 250 dollar air blaster ^^

If your talking about the motherboard then don't use anything except air. If you use a brush or rag the static electricity can fry the board. If it's a cd or hard drive you can use a slightly damp clean towel once they are removed from the computer.

I was reffering to Wireless PCI Card and GeForce Graphics Card. So its a no-go on cleaning them eh? im just curious if they will be ok under the dust? i dont want them to be damaged and find out after fixing them that i could have just cleaned them..

For the WIFI PCI card and the Geforce card, take them out of the slot, and clean them with compressed air, and then blow the dust of it.
But be careful, you dont want to damage them with static.

I use a an artist paint brush with horsehair bristle but I am earthed and a can of air and they come up lovely Ive never ever had a problem with static (except with the balloon and comb incident) :D

As above. I have also cleaned encrusted cpus with hot soapy water. Be sure to let dry before serving.

You people are too scared. ;)

I use whatever brush I can find. I don't care if its as course as sandpaper as long as I'm not scraping off components.

Static electricity? Who cares. By the time it does any appreciable damage, the stuff will be outdated anyway.

lol.. heres one:

Pop the pc (with its side case open) into the boot of your car
Drive down to your local petrol/gas station, park at one those bays where you can pump up the tyres at
Open the trunk, make it look like you're filling the spare...

2 minutes on a high air pressure hose can do wonders..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back