Play a Netflix Movie on TV via Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbzeigler

I have a laptop that I'd like to play a movie from and display it on my TV set. I'll be playing it through via S-Video cable.

Has anyone ever done this before, and what is the video quality like?

This might not be the best section for this question, but I wasn't sure where else to turn.

Thanks in advance.

Quality won't be real good, but it should still be watchable. You'll have to play with the settings in the display control panel to get the video to the TV, and you'll also want to run the sound to the TV/stereo via a headphone to RCA cable (for input on the tv/stereo) because the S-Video out on your laptop likely doesn't carry sound.

Thanks for the information. I knew the audio wouldn't be a problem since I could run an adapter from mini-to-RCA but I wasn't sure what the video output would be like on the TV.

You'll probably be limited to 800x600 for the video through s-vid. For TV shows that aren't in HD that should be fine, I've been watching some of Season 1 of Dr. Who through netflix on a tv with an hdmi connection and the quality isn't any better than I'd see through s-vid. But a lot of movies are in pretty high quality (can't tell difference from dvd) and you may notice some issue there with quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back