Playing headphones and speakers at the same time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghand

i was wondering if there is a way to play headphones and speakers at the same time?

I just have a standard sound thingy that came with my computer

not realy unless you're prepared to modify the headset plug.

the plug on the computer has a switch that operates when the headphone jack
is inserted; it disconnects the speakers.

quality and volume will suffer due to impedence mismatch but it *may* work.

RS has it for less if you want to go gold 24K ends then its going to cost more. You can connect upto 4 different 1/8 male to female connectors. I've done and it works.. So you have your speakers 5.1 surround sound and wireless heads phones. Or you can get 1/8 male with two female ends looks like a thumb nail. RS and most stores sells that for $2 to $3 bucks. Just plug that in the back where your stereo speakers go. They also make one where you and use 1/8 male two female RCA (white left) (red right).

Thanks for the response guys..

just to elaborate on my question abit more, i am thinking of learning how to dj and the software i am using (traktor dj studio) requires both speakers and headphones to work simultaneously, but i want to know if it will work where different sounds come out of each

eg the speakers plays what is on Deck 1 and the headphones plays whats on deck 2

so on traktor it will have to recognise the headphones and the speakers as two seperate things (its kinda hard to explain..)

would this work with a headpohone splitter, or would i need something else

Also tipstir dont mean to sound rude, but i havent a clue what you mean, too many technical words, im a complete noob when it comes to technical computer things lol

ghand said:
eg the speakers plays what is on Deck 1 and the headphones plays whats on deck 2
This would be similar to sterio-left speaker on one output and sterio-right on another.
I would never expect this to work with standard PC sound cards.

What I was talking about...

pRS1C-3078266w345.jpg
1/8" Stereo Dual Headphone Adapter

pRS1C-3072679w345.jpg
Mini-Plug Y Adapter

pRS1C-2265718w345.jpg
adapter is perfect for playing portable CD players on home systems! Can be used to separate left and right channel signals

There is 1/8 male that has 4-way female Y connectors... I can't find that image to show. That would allow you to hooked up speakers two set of head phones and more or you can use it inputs like IPOD, ZVUE, ZUNE, DVD Player things like that.!

Example my ZVUE has two 1/8 female stereo connections for two 1/8 male connections so lets say you and your friend could listen to music at the sametime with two different headsets. Or you could use mini stereo speakers L/R with 1/8 mini connector and you would be able to use a headset at the sametime. These images above would allow you do to that. I wish I could find the 4-way as you could be able to have 4 friends with headsets listen to same source or mix with speakers instead on the PC. It does work...

tipstir said:
pRS1C-3078266w345.jpg
1/8" Stereo Dual Headphone Adapter

pRS1C-3072679w345.jpg
Mini-Plug Y Adapter

pRS1C-2265718w345.jpg
adapter is perfect for playing portable CD players on home systems! Can be used to separate left and right channel signals

There is 1/8 male that has 4-way female Y connectors... I can't find that image to show. That would allow you to hooked up speakers two set of head phones and more or you can use it inputs like IPOD, ZVUE, ZUNE, DVD Player things like that.!

Example my ZVUE has two 1/8 female stereo connections for two 1/8 male connections so lets say you and your friend could listen to music at the sametime with two different headsets. Or you could use mini stereo speakers L/R with 1/8 mini connector and you would be able to use a headset at the sametime. These images above would allow you do to that. I wish I could find the 4-way as you could be able to have 4 friends with headsets listen to same source or mix with speakers instead on the PC. It does work...

Oh i understand what you mean now, but this wasnt what i was looking for lol

jobeard said:
This would be similar to sterio-left speaker on one output and sterio-right on another.
I would never expect this to work with standard PC sound cards.
What type of soundcard would i need to buy for this to work???

Well reading you first post sounds like what the pictures I've posted is what you need. If you want to use the speaker output of from the sound onboard if you have that?

C44-3272.jpg

See the above has a light green female 1/8 insert, that is where you would use the above connectors. Either give you extra connection for headphones and speakers or both. That's how you would use the above adapters in my pictures.
This would connect into the green on the sound card The Sound Blaster® Audigy® SE

but would my computer see the speakers and the headphones as two different things, so they can both play different sounds, or would the same sound come out of both????

It would be the same sound output? Did you want to play different sounds out of the same output? Now to use it as input you could pipe in different sound effects to be played at the sametime, it can work on the input on your sound card.

ghand said:
Thanks for the response guys..

just to elaborate on my question abit more, i am thinking of learning how to dj and the software i am using (traktor dj studio) requires both speakers and headphones to work simultaneously, but i want to know if it will work where different sounds come out of each

so on traktor it will have to recognise the headphones and the speakers as two seperate things (its kinda hard to explain..)

would this work with a headpohone splitter, or would i need something else

Also tipstir dont mean to sound rude, but i havent a clue what you mean, too many technical words, im a complete noob when it comes to technical computer things lol
^^^^^

Sorry i didnt put i wanted different outputs in the first post, and you must not have read the post above

How can i make it play different outputs

Well, you can use headphones and speakers together....

As long as you have front and rear audio (line) outputs you should be able to push speaker output through the rear and still be able to plug (and use successfully) your phones into the front jacks. If you don't have front and rear jacks, then a splitter cable (as previously suggested) is in order. If you don't have front outputs a panel can be installed: http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=11&name=Controller-Panels This assumes 2 things, 1: The motherboard has connections for front outputs 2: the audio driver's control center allows retasking. Most do.

Oh I read it.. What do you have for a sound card and what do you have for outputs?

Red - mic
Green - spk
Yellow - input

im not sure what the soundcard is, when i go on the sound thing on control panel it says

SooundMax Digital Audio, i dont know if that is the soundcard or not

it has on the back of my computer: 1 red one, 1 green one and 1 blue(i think its blue) one

Okay red could be the mic to record
Green is mostly to be for your speakers
the blue would be for your inputs like IPOD or anything else that plays audio.

SoundMax Is okay so you have onboard sound, you can tell if you it's near the USB ports if it's not? Then it in the slots lower part of the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back