PlayStation 4 Six Months Later: Getting There

Jos

Staff
Read the full article at:
[newwindow=https://www.techspot.com/review/829-sony-ps4-review-update/]https://www.techspot.com/review/829-sony-ps4-review-update/[/newwindow]

Please leave your feedback here.

Can't it be used as a media hub like the PS3 can yet? I read that it was more locked down and couldn't be used to watch video from NAS or PCs? That was a major turn off for me.

Before PS4 came out, there was a rumour that it might support gaming in 4K. It wasn't plausible, given that no video system could possibly handle gaming in 4K. However, it was born from the fact that the 4K era started in 2013, and gaining momentum quite fast, and the concern that the new play-station will fall behind very quickly because it is limited to 1080P gaming only. And every month that passes shows that's exactly what's happening, with cheaper 4K products appearing everywhere.

A year from now gaming in 4K will be a very common thing on PC-s, at which point PS4 will be so far behind, it won't be taken seriously anymore.

There was an 8-year gap between PS3 and PS4. And if Sony doesn't reduce the gap between PS4 and PS5 to about 2 years, they won't be relevant on the market by end of 2015.

they won't be relevant on the market by end of 2015.
The PS4 will remain just as relevant as any other console that doesn't support 4K gaming. So with that in mind tell me, what other console supports 4K gaming?

I still think we are at least 5 years away from 4K consoles. Hell the top end graphics cards barely manage 4K. How do you expect consoles to support 4K within the next two years?

The PS4 will remain just as relevant as any other console that doesn't support 4K gaming. So with that in mind tell me, what other console supports 4K gaming?

I still think we are at least 5 years away from 4K consoles. Hell the top end graphics cards barely manage 4K. How do you expect consoles to support 4K within the next two years?

The market is changing much faster than before:

- The major game engines become available for a tiny monthly subscription, which will boost the coming of new games (primarily for PC-s)
- Cheap 4K monitor + 4K TV-s niche is being filled in very quickly;
- Mobile market is getting first 1440p phones now, with 4k coming next year;

If you put everything together, then you will see that by end of 2015 everything will be ultra-high-def, everything, except for gaming consoles? - that's not gonna fly ;)

Yep. I game on console because of gow3 and can lay down while doing it :p 4k graphics would be nice, but that not what I'm looking for from console.

I got a PS4 on release , to be honest I hardly use it :( . I think it will be good in the long run , I'm certainly glad I got it instead of the xbox as it's clearly more powerful.

My main complaints so far .....

1) game prices are insane , £55 for a game download . Unless this changes I won't be buying many games. All my friends got a PS4 and we have hardly bought any games between us. They have to lower the price.

2) The lack of decent games.

3) PS4 browser . God it's rubbish when you used to PC . And getting out of memory errors when using it , sometimes after 30 seconds , other times it can play for hours.

Can't it be used as a media hub like the PS3 can yet? I read that it was more locked down and couldn't be used to watch video from NAS or PCs? That was a major turn off for me.

Yeah this surprised the heck out of me when I tried to connect my friends PS4 to my network to watch something off my server... Was like, Da Fuq? Why is this not a standard feature when the console launched, heck it would of been a nice update at any point in the last 6 months. And TBH I will not purchase a PS4 without said ability, the idea that you release a product that removes/eliminates features from the previous iteration is just silly and bad business practice.

And as per the 4K debate, really anyone who believes this will be the new standard adopted needs to rethink the idea. 4K as of right now is nowhere near what 1080p still hasn't accomplished, shows are still being broadcast in 720p due to connection limitations and very few are being recorded in 1080p, they are starting to become more common, but think how long that took. Just because smart phones and mobile devices have 4K screens doesn't really influence the home TV market, it will allow more people to create content but think pictures and some videos, that's it, probably for a couple years. PC graphics are just now being marketed as 4K capable, but we all know this is not true, at least not for any single GPU solution. But as already stated console gamers are console gamers due to ease of access and the simplicity of, connect two wires, insert disc, play game.

The problem with the PS4 is still there as it was at launch though not as bad. Lack of games on a system that is made only to be a gaming machine that Sony stripped of features to focus on that really makes the console not very appealing. I wish I could do half the things my PS3 could do as it used to be a media center like my 360 was (Though I preferred the PS3 9/10 times). Right now, my Xbox ONE gets daily use for T.V., talking to friends, playing some games like Forza and Titanfall, and using as a blu-ray player more than my PS4 which I only was playing Second son on. It keeps disappointing me with how much Sony is dragging their feet with this console and how slow its feeling getting anywhere with it.

As far as 4k goes, thats what at least I have my PC for, I buy the consoles for LAN parties and the exclusives along with being in some cases media centers.

Hell the top end graphics cards barely manage 4K. How do you expect consoles to support 4K within the next two years?

If you put everything together, then you will see that by end of 2015 everything will be ultra-high-def, everything, except for gaming consoles? - that's not gonna fly ;)

Your two contradictory statements actually prove that 4K will not be mainstream by 2015. Look at games like Watch Dogs that put enough stress on cards like 780Ti and R9 290X and that's only at 1440/1600p. Watch Dogs ironically can't even be considered a next generation game - it was very much dumb-down from E3 2012 and its graphics are not even on part with Metro LL or Crysis 3. By the time real next generation games like Witcher 3, The Division (hopefully Ubi won't dumb this one down like WD and FC3) hit the scene, graphics demands will increase 50-75% and eat straight into any advancements 20nm GPUs bring.

4K is also not going to be mainstream because so far all the affordable 4K screens are TN, which is not preferable to say the least. There are also Windows DPI scaling issues and all kinds of apps/compatibility problems with 4K screens from all the reviews online, including TechSpot's.

But perhaps BY FAR the most negative thing about 4K is the horrible trade-off of improved IQ vs. performance hit on current 4K LCDs:

"Seriously, though, even in the best games, you'll have to stop and peer into the screen in order to take in the difference between 4K and 2560x1440. During fast action, it's almost impossible to perceive. What you will notice, even on some of the fastest GPU hardware like the GeForce GTX 780 Ti SLI and Radeon R9 295 X2 configs I used for testing, is the performance hit when going to 4K."
http://techreport.com/review/26510/4k-for-649-asus-pb287q-monitor-reviewed/6

Sorry, but I am not going to spend $750 x 3 for Tri-SLI Maxwell and then suffer TN's inherent problems just for 4K e-peen on a 28 inch monitor. 4K is really going to shine once we can get 37-42 inch LCDs. This is especially true for those of us who have been gaming on 27-42 inch LCDs for the last 5+ years. I know I will want a screen in mid-30s range to resolve more details to truly appreciate 4K and it will need to be IPS or similar, no TN crap.

-----------------

As far as PS4 goes, I am waiting for exclusives as many others. Right now there is not much point to buy it for $400 when it doesn't even have 1 must have exclusive game. I'll keep spending my $ on 20nm GPU and M.2 SSD upgrades, or perhaps even upgrade to a 6-core i7 5820K on X99 before I consider buying a PS4. Cross-platform and indie titles are best on the PC anyway. No real rush to buy a PS4 (or XB1) until they have 3-4 must have exclusives.

What some people may have missed, market will get diluted by 4K TV panels of all sizes and prices, and once people have them, they will want to utilize their potential, so anything that says 4K will be in demand, which will make consoles look bad a year from now.

And I can foresee that updated Steam machines will be the first ones next year to advertise support for 4K TV-s.

Anyway, that's my prediction, I will stand by it, and time will tell who was right.

As a PS4 owner from launch day, my only problem with it is the HDD capacity and the rubber on the analog sticks. Specifically the left analog stick. For some reason it's peeling on two my controllers on that side

My friend has a PS4. No games though, there aren't many worth the cash. Prices too high to spend on something that probably won't be that great.
Downloads from the store are insane even for my PS3, Watchdogs @ £60... you know what you can do Sony... GFY :)
Buying any console in the first year is kinda lame. They always bring a new n improved version out, because theres bound to be a flaw they just stupidly didn't spot, or thought it was not a big deal.
But the fact I have a PS3, with almost 100 games downloaded to it, most for free due to being part of the PSN+, and I can't play any on a PS4, nor any of my disc based games. Again Sony can go to hell.
I am not having a PS3, and a PS4, just because you can't be bothered to work out any kinks.
With all the games coming out on PC anyway and hardly any exclusives or ones I can see myself caring about anyway, I will just buy a new PC should I need to.
Personally I don't rush out and get the latest games, they arent worth the money.
For the equivalent of a PS4 and every "so called" amazing blockbuster of a game, over a year period, you could probably get a sweet PC and 2 or 3 times as many games. Especially with Steam sales.
The only thing needed on a PC is a Playstation or xbox controller that works flawlessly with every game. With official drivers.

Great update.

I dont think 4k will be as mahoosive as anticipated, The real estate is fantastic. My eyes however are unable to read the teeny tiny fonts :)

Before PS4 came out, there was a rumour that it might support gaming in 4K. It wasn't plausible, given that no video system could possibly handle gaming in 4K. However, it was born from the fact that the 4K era started in 2013, and gaining momentum quite fast, and the concern that the new play-station will fall behind very quickly because it is limited to 1080P gaming only. And every month that passes shows that's exactly what's happening, with cheaper 4K products appearing everywhere.

A year from now gaming in 4K will be a very common thing on PC-s, at which point PS4 will be so far behind, it won't be taken seriously anymore.

There was an 8-year gap between PS3 and PS4. And if Sony doesn't reduce the gap between PS4 and PS5 to about 2 years, they won't be relevant on the market by end of 2015.
4K won't be mainstream till we get media that's 4K. It might be the thing for consoles and PCs, but not for Joe 24Coors pack, till the cablecos and telcos(Verizon FIOS TV and At&t Uverse) start making it.

4K won't be mainstream till we get media that's 4K. It might be the thing for consoles and PCs, but not for Joe 24Coors pack, till the cablecos and telcos(Verizon FIOS TV and At&t Uverse) start making it.
Don't you think that the lack of media will help 4K TV owners embrace 4K gaming even more? ;) It is usually more desirable to be able to use a product in one way than none at all :) And as for your regular Joe, they are likely to adopt the technology when it is finally broadcasted, which should start fairly soon. There is little faith that a good media will surface up any time soon, too much debate is going on in that camp, that's why live streaming (internet or broadcast) is the only viable option are the moment.

Just to clarify on the lack of media... Even when it does come up, the demand for it will be small. On one hand, streaming gives you much better choice for much less money. On another, people don't want to waste money on yet another temporary disc format. I got here a library of VHS, DVD-s and Blu-Rays, they now all gather dust in a draw, I only watch stuff online or downloaded, and definitely not buying another media again.

Last edited:
The main problem is that most people are tired of playing the same game over and over, not to mention paying 60 usd each time. what are the best prospects on the ps4 - uncharted 4 and god of war 5? 3 and 4 already were unnecessary.

Back