PlayStation 4 surpasses 50 million consoles sold milestone

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Sony revealed on Wednesday that sales of its PlayStation 4 console have surpassed 50 million units worldwide as of December 6. The figure includes sales of the new PlayStation 4 Pro which launched close to a month ago (the original PlayStation 4 arrived on November 15, 2013).

The PlayStation 4 eclipsed the 30 million mark in November 2015 before tacking on an addition 10 million as of this past May.

Software title sales including those from third-party developers and publishers have been solid as well with gamers having purchased 369.6 million copies as of December 4 from both retail stores globally and via digital downloads on the PlayStation Store.

Andrew House, President and Global CEO of Sony Interactive Entertainment, said they are truly delighted that the PS4 community continues to flourish since launch three years ago.

In announcing the milestone, Sony said it enjoyed the best ever Black Friday week (November 21-27) in PlayStation history.

While no doubt an impressive feat, Sony still has a long way to go for the PS4 to even break into the top 10 best-selling console list. The PlayStation 2, the Nintendo DS and Game Boy / Game Boy Color sold >155 million, 154.02 million and 118.69 million units, respectively, during their lifetime.

That said, the PS4 family has already outsold the Super Nintendo, the Nintendo 64 and the Sega Genesis but then again, gaming in general wasn’t nearly as popular back then as it is today.

Permalink to story.

Count me in as one of those Black Friday buyers. I've always built gaming Rigs, but I am pleasantly surprised with the PS4.

I bought the Playstation 4 pro am very happy with it and on sale for 2 days I managed to get a 55inch 4k TV an LG with HDR and was happy with the price but really have and am enjoying the Playstation gaming system.

I snagged a PS4 Pro and a 4K TV on Black Friday. Already finished The Last Of Us Remastered, amazing game.

It's nice to play the PS4 exclusives (I've always been 100% PC Gamer).

I snagged a PS4 Pro and a 4K TV on Black Friday. Already finished The Last Of Us Remastered, amazing game.

It's nice to play the PS4 exclusives (I've always been 100% PC Gamer).
I personally think it is on of the best games I have ever played just amazing and cant wait for part 2.

I bought a Playstation 3 during Black Friday.

I was extremely disappointed when PS2 launched because many of my classic favorites from Singletrac weren't available: Warhawk, Twisted Metal, etc. Then Sony started playing games with reverse compatibility and I lost all interest. Went over to Xbox and never looked back.

I would have bought a Playstation 4, but it didn't have Gradius V and Contra: Shattered Soldier available to download.

Also downloaded Warhawk, Soldier Blade and Revenge of Shinobi.

Old games in many ways are so much more fun and accessible.

I hate PS controllers though. Prefer Xbox's.

I had to buy a 3rd party controller just to keep carpal tunnel syndrome away.

I bought a Playstation 3 during Black Friday.

I was extremely disappointed when PS2 launched because many of my classic favorites from Singletrac weren't available: Warhawk, Twisted Metal, etc. Then Sony started playing games with reverse compatibility and I lost all interest. Went over to Xbox and never looked back.

I would have bought a Playstation 4, but it didn't have Gradius V and Contra: Shattered Soldier available to download.

Also downloaded Warhawk, Soldier Blade and Revenge of Shinobi.

Old games in many ways are so much more fun and accessible.

I hate PS controllers though. Prefer Xbox's.

I had to buy a 3rd party controller just to keep carpal tunnel syndrome away.
I'm sorry... did you just call a contra game "accessible"? :D

Back