TechSpot

Please give input om mobo and cpu.

By kesler
Aug 29, 2007
  1. I am ready to buy my business mobo and cpu. I have the antec sonata3 case which is a mid tower. The cpu Iam looking at will be a LGA775. I've been told to go with a foxconn or gigabite mobo. Are there any certain core cpu I should stay away from? I will be on the internet along with running quickbooks and excell at the same time. Please give suggestions as to best way to go . Thank you

2. AlbertLionheart

AlbertLionheart TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,026

LGA 775 is the socket on the motherboard. There is a big range that will fit this including core2duo, although not all LGA 775 boards will run core2duo - you need to check the board spec carefully before deciding!
    Any core2duo chip will run the apps you have mentioned without stress - which OS are you going to use as this will help you decide how much RAM to have?

3. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 5,431   +28

Stay away from Core 2 Duo for business use, since you wouldn't use the extra power at all. Get a Pentium D or a (Pentium 4 if you can find one) and you'll be fine. Every LGA775 board AFAIK supports the Pentium D so no problems there.

4. kesler

kesler TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 54

Windowa xp pro, Okay what about the mobo? I was going with a atx. There are a lot of micro atx however I thought I should stick with atx , any ideas here? I want the mobo to be stable and reliable on a budget.

5. AlbertLionheart

IMHO you might struggle with some bigger spreadsheets and powerpoint files with a Celeron chip. An ATX board will be fine in a midi tower. Stay away from the cheaper boards as they will not be reliable long-term. Better brands I have used in order of preference are ASUS, ABit, Gigabyte, Foxconn.

6. kesler

Anybody else have any thoughts? Please

7. kesler

I am not going to use celeron. What are the benifits of a atx board over a mini atx?

8. AlbertLionheart

ATX v mATX - not much except that there is a bigger range of ATX boards.
    Dual core will give some future proofing.....

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.