Please Help!! Amilo Pro v7010 and ATI radeon 9000

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there. I hope someone can help me as i'm pulling my hair out with this thing!! :hotbounce

This laptop (Fujitsu Siemens Amilo Pro v7010) is great in most respects but there are some issues with it that I just cannot fathom out.

1) Despite its spec (2.53ghz processor, 736MB of RAM etc.) it is SLOW!! It jerks when you play video and music on it. I've tried registry repairers, defragging the HD, and god knows how many other things but none of them have worked. I've formatted the hard drive and re-installed everything which works initially but it'll start again after not very long.

2) This is the most annoying!! Anytime you put any kind of pressure on the system (and i'm talking games here) it'll work just long enough to give me a glimpse of how good it can be. Then BAM!!! It freezes. It works fine in windows and there are no issues with office etc. and after the initial jerking plays video, music and dvd's fine (which leads me away from the hard disc being the problem) but play any game on it and you get around 30 secs worth before the whole thing locks up. Only way to sort it is reboot.

The help line claim it's a hard disc problem but this has been the case since the first day I got it. I'm more inclined to think it's a graphics issue. I've tried downloading the latest driver for the ATI mobility radeon 9000 (Feb 2004 for God's sake) for it but it's the same one that came with the laptop. Any others I try just give me this 'INF error. Video driver not found'. I heard that ATI had put out the rights on their drivers so I downloaded a Compaq driver made specifically for it and suprise suprise....same damn error.

I'm really beginning to lose my patience with it!! Any (and I mean ANY) help or suggestions for this would be greatly appreciated. :grinthumb

Well, to add more to the quandry, I downloaded the Omega drivers (which I only came accross through this forum!!) for the ATI which I thought had cracked it but unfortunately not.

Same issue, will play a game for a minute or so then the whole system freezes and the keyboard becomes unusable.

I'm now wondering if it might be a memory issue...although the laptop came with 256mb of mem I bought a 512mb extension and have tried the two seperately and together but to no avail.

The one other thing i've found is that the bios seems to be very archaic. Having done a search, people have suggested various fixes for similar poblems like changing voltages to the card etc but this bios doesn't have it. I'm afraid i've no idea how to change that though!!

Any suggestions as to what this might be would be very gratefully received!!

the ATI 9000 is not a good graphix card by today's standards, and the mobility version is even worse in some respects. It depends on what games you are playing. BF2 and COD2 will definitely cause your system to freeze but playing older games such as....... oh...... i dunno NBA 1995 should be well.

Thanks for your reply.

I'm beginning to think that this is more of a fault than that. For example, it will happily play FS2004, GP4, The sims and any other game i've tried, but only for a couple of minutes before it freezes. Surely if it plays them with perfectly acceptable frame rates for even a second then it can't be the graphics can it? If it wasn't capable it wouldn't play them at all right? But why does it work OK in windows?!

I just don't get it!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back