Please Help! My new ASRock Dual939 machine wont boot!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, Im new to the forums so go easy on me. So heres the story: I had an old Athlon XP 2000+ XP machine and I had updated everything I could over the years except the CPU. So I do my research and decide to get a Opteron 146 (Socket 939), and the ASRock Dual939 mobo because I dont want to spend the $$ on a new PCI-e card. So here are my components: New ASYS case, Opty 146 (CABYE stepping), Logisys 500W PS, GeForce 5600FX 256MB, 2 stick 512MB (1GB total) PQI DDR PC400 RAM, NEC ND-2500A DVD Burner, Generic CD Burner, Old HP FDD, Maxtor 40GB HDD, and WD 200GB HDD. All of these components minus the CPU, RAM and mobo were in use in my old system. I took those out and transplanted them into the new computer, double checked everything and started it up. Everything powered up but nothing else happened (Ive built a few computers before). So I take everything out but the CPU and VC get the RAM beep code (3 short beeps), put one stick back in and lo and behold 1 stick is bad. So I put the good stick in and connect everything else and fire this bad boy up. I get to the VC bios and then I get to POST. After everything is found the screen turns black and I get the blinking cursor like it is going to start up but nothing happens- it just sits there. So I think: I've ruined my hard drive so I take everything out and put it back into my old case and everything works fine again. So I am pretty sure its not my hardware. But I need some guidance. I am running Windows XP Pro, so thats what is isntalled on my hard drive if that matters.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Eric

P.S. I don't know if it matters, but I did try clearing the CMOS as well and that didn't help. Also, my BIOS version is v1.4b.

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

One reason your system won`t boot is, because your hdd still contains the old mobo drivers for your old mobo.

Try booting from your Windows XP disk, and run a repair install as per this thread HERE

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Thanks Howard

Thanks for your suggestions and help. So it turns out that it was what you said, but repairing didn't fix it. I actually took a new hard drive and started from scratch. Then using my old hard drive as a slave went through and re-downloaded and installed all the programs, games, etc. I had on my old drive until everything was like it was originally. So thanks for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back