Please help new here CPU running 75c average

Status
Not open for further replies.

mitch04

hi i just built my computer it has intel pentium 4 3.4Ghz and intel motherboard and Geforce 6600 graphics card. 1GB ram. now im using a Intel(R) Desktop Utilities. and is telling me that my cpu is around 75C and i dont thing thats normal. i am using the fan for the cpu that came with it which i dont recon is doing a good job. my case has a fan on the side and thats about it. i was thinking about this on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Copper-Heats...0096127374QQcategoryZ3673QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem do you recon that would cool it down alot. Because my pc is ment for gaming and if its runing 75C just using internet explorer then thats a problem to see what it runs on a game. so could you please tell me if that fan will be ok and mabe tell me what tempurature it would be if you could that would be great thank you very much.

or this one http://www.umart.com.au/newindex2.phtml?bid=4 and http://www.umart.com.au/newindex2.phtml?bid=4

thank you very much

75c is way too hot to be near-idling at. Is this the first time you've built a computer? I'm betting you installed the HS/F wrong. You're going to need to take off your HS/F, reapply thermal paste, and install the HS/F correctly.

k i'll try again because i just did that before and still did the same. i think i just need a better fan.

Try downloading Speedfan. Intel's utilities sometimes report the temperature as higher than it is.

First: like what MetalX said, the temps reported might be off.

Second: You're probably running a Prescott. If you are, 75C might be just a little high for it :D. I didn't own a Prescott, but I know 100C isn't rare for one. Not that such temps are good...

thanks for the replys could you jus t be able to tell me the best fan please because im really sure its the fans falt.

hey sorry could someone just help im really sure i need a better fan so could someone please tell me a good one i will pay $65 and under.
thanks

Why don't you just check by reapplying good thermal paste such as Arctic Silver and then reseating the HSF properly and cleaning the HSF if required?
If you do need a new cooler, check out this one. It's the best available for a Socket 478/775 P4.

hi i got the fan i put it in put the greese in and everything and now my computer not working. After 10 sec the computer just turns off then i click on and it makes a beeping noise so i dont no . i hope the cpu is not broken. can anyone give me and good suggestion?

Update:
i just checked the cpu and for some reason theres a little bit of grease on the gold part. I didnt eathen put grease on that and for some reason a little bit is on that. so is there a way to clean it. metho or something like that just a lttile bit and use a tissue any ideas?

thanks

Oh crap.

Arctic Silver is made out of silver, and its very conductive. Getting some on the gold part IS NOT GOOD. I am very careful around arctic silver, and if I accidentally smeared any anywhere out of the target application area, I would have cleaned the whole thing thoroughly with metho, after wiping the whole thing clean with tissue. Thoroughly means no evidence of AS5 at all, which might take quite awhile to acheive.

Wipe it off, use metho, make sure it dries off completely, and then reassemble. Hopefully your CPU is not damaged, I've not yet encountered a problem where someone shorted the pins this way. I know that if you wet it while running (which then shorts it out), and then drying it out there isn't any lasting damage, so hopefully its still alright.

Update us once you clean it off.

ok thank you so much for the reply i will do this asap and i will wait like 10mins to dry so i wont put that much on kk i think i know what u mean k because i ask my brother and he had the same problem with the cpu and he just cleaned it and it work. so lets hope please god.

Someone should have warned you about that. The application instructions which are available online here should have warned you about getting the stuff CLOSE to anything, let alone physically touching it.

update:

didnt work i cleaned it and i cant find one bit of dirt and tried to clean the cpu slot part but still. i didnt eathen touch it mabe its not the cpu falt. could it be where you put the leads for the front in wrong?

leads for the front?

If the computer won't start at all, your heating problems are the least of your problems. You might have a burnt CPU on your hands there.

if you've cleaned everything, and it still doesn't boot up, chances are either your CPU is fried, or your motherboard is fried, or both are fried.

btw, AS5 could have got to the bottom of your CPU via hands. If you've touched the AS5, and then touched the bottom, you'd have smeared quite alot of that stuff down there.

oh dam it. the noise on the computer make like a high beep then low then high then turns off could that help

update: mabe i can try my cpu on my brothers computer. his motherboard is A8N32-SLI delux motherboard gaming will that support my intel pentium 4?

thanks

thats an AMD motherboard. Yours is an Intel CPU.

It will never work together.

Also, you wouldn't want to run into the risk of introducing problems to a computer that works perfectly.

The beeping sure would help. Check your motherboard manual for help on what the beeps mean.

hi i took it to a computer shop and just by looking out it he recons cpu is gorn but not sure yet so i was just wondering i think i might get this cpu Intel ATX E6320 CORE 2 DUO 1.86GHz/4MB CACHE/1066FSB/LGA775. how do you know if your motherboard fits that my motherboard is an intel D915GAV. it says on my motherboard it fit LGA775 socket which is for core duo 2 im not sure
thank you

That mobo will not accept a Core 2 Duo processor. The best processor you can buy for it is the Pentium 4 670 3.8GHz CPU with 2MB of L2 cache.

You can always get a motherboard to go with the CPU, because chances are that your motherboard is also fried.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back