TechSpot

[Please Help!] Problem with pop-ups, CoolWebSearch...

By TrevPie
Mar 5, 2006
  1. Ok, first and foremost I would like to say that I am a n00b, so if I leave out any important info please point it out and I'll try to include it.

I have been getting tons of pop-ups lately and it is not only extremely annoying but I'm also afraid it may be a security risk... along with being annoying -.-'

I'll get to the point:

I have CoolWebSearch on my computer. I used to have Surf Sidekick, but I managed to get rid of that. I have used tons of programs including Ad-Aware, Spybot, Norton, Hijackthis(which is what I'm hoping you all can help me with), CWSShredder. Nothing has been working.

Ad-Aware did manage to locate some of the files, but they either won't delete, regenerate themselves, or change to a different filename by the time I reboot. It always seems like there's one or more left. Not to mention that I'm hesitant about deleting system files.

PLEASE NOTE: I have already tried CWSShredder but it doesn't locate it for some reason. Ad-aware tells me that I have CWS, though.
    Another note: Everything above that I said I have tried, I have also tried in Safe Mode.

I have included a HJT log (hopefully I did it successfully anyway) if that might help.

Thanks for your time! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Trevor

2. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 24,177   +19

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Go HERE and follow the instructions.

Then, go HERE and follow the instructions.

Then post a fresh HJT log.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

3. TrevPie

TrevPie TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks!

Thanks a million for your help =) I haven't gotten a pop-up so far *knocks on wood* after following those steps.

Just in case there's more I need to do, here are the logs. There's the log l2mdestroyer gave me, HJT2 log is the one I took after running l2mdestroyer, then HJT3 log is the one I took after (hopefully)ridding myself of SSK remnants.

4. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 24,177   +19

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.