TechSpot

[Please Help!] Problem with pop-ups, CoolWebSearch...

By TrevPie
Mar 5, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ok, first and foremost I would like to say that I am a n00b, so if I leave out any important info please point it out and I'll try to include it.

I have been getting tons of pop-ups lately and it is not only extremely annoying but I'm also afraid it may be a security risk... along with being annoying -.-'

I'll get to the point:

I have CoolWebSearch on my computer. I used to have Surf Sidekick, but I managed to get rid of that. I have used tons of programs including Ad-Aware, Spybot, Norton, Hijackthis(which is what I'm hoping you all can help me with), CWSShredder. Nothing has been working.

Ad-Aware did manage to locate some of the files, but they either won't delete, regenerate themselves, or change to a different filename by the time I reboot. It always seems like there's one or more left. Not to mention that I'm hesitant about deleting system files.

PLEASE NOTE: I have already tried CWSShredder but it doesn't locate it for some reason. Ad-aware tells me that I have CWS, though.
    Another note: Everything above that I said I have tried, I have also tried in Safe Mode.

I have included a HJT log (hopefully I did it successfully anyway) if that might help.

Thanks for your time! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Trevor
  2. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 25,948   +19

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Go HERE and follow the instructions.

Then, go HERE and follow the instructions.

Then post a fresh HJT log.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:
  3. TrevPie

TrevPie TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks!

Thanks a million for your help =) I haven't gotten a pop-up so far *knocks on wood* after following those steps.

Just in case there's more I need to do, here are the logs. There's the log l2mdestroyer gave me, HJT2 log is the one I took after running l2mdestroyer, then HJT3 log is the one I took after (hopefully)ridding myself of SSK remnants.
  4. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 25,948   +19

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.