Please I need a recommendation on what to upgrade for gaming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

thebluemeaner

Hi, I'm new to this forum and would like to thank everyone for any replies beforehand. I have a dilemma on what single part of my computer I should upgrade to improve my gaming (I'm on a very tight budget 200$US approx.). Currently I'm getting choppy graphics and slowdowns in relatively old games like Halo, Area 51 and KOTOR (in a 1280x1024 resolution with mid settings)

These are my system specs

Processor: Celeron D 3.2ghz
Motherboard: P5LP-LE (Altair)
RAM: 1gb DDR PC3200 (400mhz)
Hard drive: 120gb Barracuda 7200
Video card: PCI-E geforce 6200tc 350/535 o.c @ 470/770 (runs at 40c idle, 52c high loads)
PSU: Bestec 300w 12v+ 19A

Also here's a link with detailed information about my motherboard
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...21&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=3190727&lang=en

I would like to know what single component I could upgrade in order to be able to play those games flawlessly at a 1280x1024 resolution in high settings. Thanks again.

update>> I've been offered a P4 3.0ghz with HT, will upgrading to this improve my frame rates dramatically?

well first you should think about changing your processor and then video card. coz if you buy a new video card , it still won't be that much effective. say good bye to celeron and bring pentium 4 or something.

rashidaliamjad said:
well first you should think about changing your processor and then video card. coz if you buy a new video card , it still won't be that much effective. say good bye to celeron and bring pentium 4 or something.
"I have a dilemma on what single part of my computer I should upgrade to improve my gaming (I'm on a very tight budget 200$US approx.)".
Did I miss something here?

A Pentium D CPU would be your best CPU upgrade and would noticably affect performance and they can be had for under 100$. Next a 7600GT for for a video card they are about 79$ after a mail in rebate.

If you can stretch the budget get a Zalman fan for the CPU I have my Pentium D overclocked 20%. Do not use the stock thermal paste pad it will fail in the first week.

Pentium D with a 7600GT, its under 200$ and it will really improve your framerates. Maybe down the road another GB of Ram.

Thanks a lot everyone, I live in El Salvador so I have to look for those components in my country or mail them in (they charge me 2 bucks per pound plus tax) I guess I should change my processor first and also get a new psu. If I see enough improvement I'll wait a bit till prices fall and I will save up some money to get a good video card. If not I'll go with Rayss523's recomendation, thanks again.

CPU
Intel Pentium D 925 3.0GHz / 4MB Cache / 800MHz FSB / Dual-Core / Presler / OEM / Socket 775 / Processor - $79.99

Video Card
EVGA GeForce 7300 GT / 256MB GDDR2 / SLI Ready / PCI Express / DVI / VGA / TV Out / Video Card - $59.99 after $10 rebate

PSU
ThermalTake / Litepower / 400-Watt / ATX / 120 mm Fan / 20/24-Pin / SATA Ready / PCI-E Ready / Power Supply - $49.99

That'd make for a great upgrade and would also be within your budget. You'll notice a very large leap in performance with those components in your rig. Good luck and let us know how it goes. :)

Got a new processor

Got a new processor to replace the celeron! Its a pentium 4 631, I hope it represents an improvement in my gaming, im still going to buy the x1950 pro, I hope this processor makes a better job at feeding the card

right now your biggest bottleneck is your CPU. It is a very low end processor not suitable for gaming. If you can upgrade it, do so. However, most boards designed for celerons are also low end as well which will hamper the entire system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back