please insert cd!!!!!! help!!!

By schott70
Apr 2, 2005
  1. my cd /dvd drive is'nt reading any audio or cd roms! Tried uninstalling the drive and letting my pc detect it,it dectects it ok but does not seem to reconginse it? its a newish dvd/cd rom drive the only trouble recently was my moniter popped and i had to replace it,its after that when the problems seemed to appear. any help would be very much appreciated(im a novice at this so keep it simple)!! thanks
  2. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 4,573   +65

It's not unusual for optical drives to fail.. even after a short time. This seems to be a common problem with ALL electronics that are made for $0.50 by tiny little under-paid malaysian hands.

There is a limited number of Windows problems that can cause your CD-ROM not work.. Most of which tend be uncommon (for most people, at least). You can search for solutions here: to software problems.

If you have access to another CD-ROM, I would make an attempt to swap your curent drive out for a known working one.. Or perhaps try your optical drive in another computer and see how that works.
  3. poertner_1274

poertner_1274 secroF laicepS topShceT Posts: 4,172

You say your monitor 'popped', what exactly does that mean? I'm assuming you had a little power surge and it fried. Something could have happened along those lines to your drive as well, although I would assume something more serious would have happened as well.

:wave:Welcome to TechSpot:wave:
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.