please recommend wireless set-up

By detrunks
Apr 27, 2006
  1. Can anyone recommend a reliable and secure access point and wireless LAN card for under £35 GBP?
  2. detrunks

detrunks TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 153

anyone?!!! And I meant £35 each
  3. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

Let us assume a budget of 70 then? Are you sure it is a wireless access point you want and not a router?

Looking at Linksys WAP55AG and a Linksys WPC55AG should come at something around 60 GBP. 10 for shipping :)
  4. AMDIsTheBest010

AMDIsTheBest010 TS Rookie Posts: 398

if u have a notebook then buy a wireless router then purchase a wireless notebook card, if not buy one for a desktop(PCI slot needs to be available on desktop, or go for the higher priced Linksys USB adapter)
  5. detrunks

detrunks TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 153

I'm going with access point over router because they should be cheaper?
    And I need a phone port on the router for vonage ( i already have the wired router with the phone port)
    Is the linksys one reliable then?

6. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

Linksys makes good wireless gear, yes. These devices also support the 5GHz band, meaning that you have a good chance of getting an interference-free network. And yes, an AP is what you want when you already have a router.

I just picked a PCI wireless adapter for you, but something else may suit your needs better. For a laptop an USB or a PCMCIA device is needed insteadof PCI. For a desktop, an USB adapter may be placed more favourably to get a better signal.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.