plug and play software enumerator/no sound

By khushaliim
Jun 5, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hey guys,

I reformatted my Dell Inspiron 8100 laptop and installed Windows 2000 Pro on it. After several attempts at updating all drivers and what not, I was having trouble with the Plug and Play Software Enumerator and the fact that there was no driver. I accidently (well, I decided to listen to a friend who claimed to know what he was doing) and deleted the PnPSE from the device manager. Anyway, after all the trouble to try to get it back, I still don't have the PnPSE in the device manager and when I try to get the files and install the new hardware (I have another computer with the same OS on it) I get the following error:

An error occurred while trying to install the device:

The data is invalid.

So, now the two things that I have wrong are the PnPSE not showing up in the device manager and there is no sound (even though all the sound drivers are available). I think that these two might be related (I have seen posts about this elsewhere).

HELP!!!
  2. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso Newcomer, in training Posts: 25,948   +19

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Take a look HERE and see if it helps any. It gives instructions on how to reinstall the PnPSE.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.