Poll: What connection do you have?

What type of internet connection do you have at home?

• Modem

Votes: 19 22.4%
  • Cable

Votes: 40 47.1%
  • xDSL

Votes: 20 23.5%
  • Satellite

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • None

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Other

Votes: 4 4.7%

• Total voters
BT ADSL here in Aberdeen, Scotland.
Cost £140 for the installation and £40 a month for the service.
Between me and my flat mate its £20 each so its not so bad.
A price cut would be nice though....

Just found this at www.btopenworld.com and had a laugh...
http://www.btopenworld.com/surfmonkey
BT Surfmonkey :haha:

From btopenworld.com :

BTopenworld will launch Plug & Go on the 5th March 2002, with a free activation offer, waiving the £65.00 activation charge for orders received up to 31st May 2002, making broadband prices even lower. Plug & Go monthly rental will be £29.99 and there will be a one off equipment charge of £85.00.

Can you find anything saying that this reduction is also for existing broadband customers cause if it is I am only giving my flatmate £15 towards the bill ;)

http://info.blueyonder.co.uk/comparecost.html

Blueyonder do a good deal as well. I know a lot of my CS clan ([S.C.O.T.S]) that use this service in Glasgow. One thing to check is the up and down stream speeds. A lot of ADSL services give you a 512k downstream and a 128k upstream. If your uploading lots to remote servers etc. then this may be something to look at.

The modem I have from BT is a USB modem.
I believe there are also Ethernet modems that plug into a Network card on your PC. I believe these are generally preferred althought I can't remember why, I have a look around the net to see what I can find out.

My set up for sharing ADSL is one PC with ADSL USB modem, Internet Connection Sharing and a network card connecting it to a nice and cheap Scan 10 port switch/hub. The other two computers just connect to the hub. The other option is a router connected to the ADSL modem which then allows any individual computer to start the connection to the net.

Links:
Questions: DSL broadband routing...
Help with ICS

I am one of the lucky ones who have cable. I also am fortunate to live in an area that has more than one cable company who compete with each other instead of a monopoly. In the end, I get great service and good pricing on my service. I have had it for 4 years now and had 0 problems with my provider.

well broadband is not as expensive here as it sounds it is in the UK. Cable modem costs $40 a month; $7. modem rent is included. DSL costs $50 a month and requires a contract so I decided to go with a cable connection. The connection used to be fantastic until @HOME went bankrupt now Comcast has setup their own lines but they are very laggy. I think they are planning to increase their prices by 5 dollars or so pretty soon.:rolleyes:

This is interesting, I thought there would be a LOT more cable/ADSL users in this forums. I guess I'll be stucked to modem for quite some time until the local ISPs here rollout broadband in a big scale. Broadband is only available in VERY selected areas i.e. areas where "high income earners" live e.g. condominiums. Very irritating...

Furthermore, it just got more expensive surfing the net. The phone tariffs just went up.. Blech...

adsl... Costs me around 80$ a month, but it's cheaper than what it'd cost me with regular modem... (online 24/7 at least ;))
For that price I get (alledged) 704k downstream and 128k upstream...

Too bad the *****ic ISP/telco went with the wrong ADSL setup, so I only have duplex, as opposed to full-duplex...

I can't wait to until May, when a new ISP opens op for ADSL in my area... Then it's around 70$ for 2Mbit downstream and 800k upstream! Oh, yeah :cool:

Originally posted by prashidi
well broadband is not as expensive here as it sounds it is in the UK. Cable modem costs $40 a month; $7. modem rent is included. DSL costs $50 a month and requires a contract so I decided to go with a cable connection. The connection used to be fantastic until @HOME went bankrupt now Comcast has setup their own lines but they are very laggy. I think they are planning to increase their prices by 5 dollars or so pretty soon.:rolleyes:

Don't you realise, the US gets everything earlier and cheaper than the UK. Like I already said, this year will be the year broadband starts to take off in the UK. I think I read somewhere that broadband in the US is used by 60% of homes with 40% still using narrowband. In the UK, we get the technology at a "reasonable" price after years it has already been available in selected areas (my area being one of them).

The sad truth is although i'm prepared to pay £22.99 - £29.99 a month (the NEW low price range for ADSL in the UK) with an initial £59 BT line activation fee plus a new ADSL modem for £50 - £100 and also 2 or 3 micro-filters for £12.99 each, the US still gets the above cheaper

Originally posted by Snowy Commando
The sad truth is although i'm prepared to pay £22.99 - £29.99 a month (the NEW low price range for ADSL in the UK) with an initial £59 BT line activation fee plus a new ADSL modem for £50 - £100 and also 2 or 3 micro-filters for £12.99 each, the US still gets the above cheaper

Find out which adsl ver BT is using (CAP or DMT), and buy a modem from the states.. (or buy one which supports both types... Uncommon, but not rare..)

And while you're at it, why not buy the rest of the stuff you need from the states...
You won't need to pay the US taxes, and if you ship each individually you might avoid the UK taxes... Could save you some £'s...

.02$

Cable is costing me 37 per month because I own a cable modem. Its pretty good service. I have had a few issues but for the most part Im very happy with the service.

Seems as if I am in very good company with those who use modem...although there have not been many who have voted thus far. A very close second is DSL...it would be nice...but guess I'll just have to settle for modem for now.

At home I use 28k, here at school I use partial T1.
My family (I mean me and my mother) are soon moving, and I hope to get DSL in my new house. It would be heaven :(

All I have to say is that I love my cable modem!!! Every time I ping it I get speeds upwards of around T1 to T3 connections! Don't think I could go back to the days of dialups...

Originally posted by SuperCheetah
All I have to say is that I love my cable modem!!! Every time I ping it I get speeds upwards of around T1 to T3 connections! Don't think I could go back to the days of dialups...

me too.... i don't know how i managed with that rubbish....

Originally posted by Phantasm66

me too.... i don't know how i managed with that rubbish....

Dude, I've been stucked with that rubbish ever since I started using the computer ;) Thank goodness for company's leased line :D

155Mbps ATM right now (I'm at school), lousy 56k at home (the bloody ISP's wont give ADSL outside the city :mad: )

Satellite access has the main advantage of being available anywhere in the world, the question is, does anyone actually want it for the price/performance?

I'm getting ADSL from 1st April and i wanted to know, should i get an Alcatel Speed Touch USB ADSL modem for £95 including 2 micro-filters OR an internal PCI Connexant ADSL modem from DabsValue for just £51? Get a well-known brand or a budget value make that should give the same functionality?:confused:

Originally posted by Snowy Commando
I'm getting ADSL from 1st April and i wanted to know, should i get an Alcatel Speed Touch USB ADSL modem for £95 including 2 micro-filters OR an internal PCI Connexant ADSL modem from DabsValue for just £51? Get a well-known brand or a budget value make that should give the same functionality?:confused:

I've got the Alcatel SpeedTouch Home modem, and has had absolutely no probs with it... It's easily to configure for use with a hub/swtich, has built in DHCP server and some more... And it's dead easy to configure!

Guess the USB should have similar properties, though I'd go for the Home ver, or something else using cat-5... (makes it easier to connect more machines later...)

.02$

I have been using the internet for the past 4 years, lot a long time =).

I was and is now always using the same service provider: BC.TELUS, but i switched service plans. 2 years using 56K Dial up and i think i had a limit to 100 hours a month. You really age fast when you use dial up =) . . .

For the past 2 years, I have been using ADSL Highspeed Connection. I am really pleased with the results. Max Bandwidth for up: 80k/s down: 160k/s

that is kilobytes

It was $200 for the 3com home connect ADSL modem. And it pays off while you use it . . . every month you pay nothing because of a deal agreement rebate. Its all gone now =)

So its around $40 a month . . . no bandwidth limits

pretty good =)

Frequently, it tends to slack and goes down for awhile . . . maybe for mantainance.

other then that i enjoy it =)

TRUFFLES

Originally posted by truffles
For the past 2 years, I have been using ADSL Highspeed Connection.

Hmm, its probably been available that long in the UK except the prices were so high that only the rich could afford it.

2 yrs later and the prices are low enough for nearly anybody to afford it in the UK with prices from £22.99 to £29.99 per month for ADSL access. The only problem remains of if its available in your area in the UK.

How much does £22.99 ($32.81) to £29.99 ($42.80) compare to the lowest xDSL price in the US?

Exchange rate used: 1.42700

DSL isn't too big in my area of the states, but that is largely due to the fact that the only phone company around here that handles DSL is Ameritech. Few companies are as top heavy as this one in our area.

SO most people opt for either cable or dial up, rather than go through the pain of Ameritech Customer Service.

Back