Possible power supply issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

smore9648

Here is the issue. I have a system that will boot up with no errors.
I log in to the system and then after about three minutes it shuts off the monitor but the system continues to run.

The video card is integrated and I looked in the device manager and it doesn't seem to have any problems there.

I believe its a faulty power supply and unfortunately I am not allowed to test the power supply. I just want someone to confirm my suspicions.

I run diagnostics on the memory and harddrive and everything passes.

It runs in dos no problem but when I am in windows it shuts down the monitor.
I moved to different area to make sure the line was clean and swapped around monitors to make sure it wasn't the monitor.

If its not the monitor then it must be the video card on the MOBO

Try updating the graphic drivers, and tell us more about your power supply. Also, tell us your integrated card.

cfitzarl said:
Try updating the graphic drivers, and tell us more about your power supply. Also, tell us your integrated card.

I would tell you more about the graphics card but by the time I get to opening the device manager the system shuts down the monitor.

Ok I updated the video driver. It did nothing
Checked hibernation settings in control panel and Bios. Nothing

Attempted to reload the system from 2k Pro to XP pro with a ghost load and it died in the 1%

Can you load up safe mode and if so does the problem exist in this mode?

No that wont be it, so the screen just goes black but you believe the system is still running. The only thing that would do that would be the graphics card. Have you tried uninstalling the drivers and then leaving them uninstalled. So for example uninstall the drivers completely, leave them uninstalled and restart the computer. Once you are back in windows the resolution should change and moving stuff around will be very jerky. Leave the system like this and tell me does the screen still drop out?

[-Steve-] said:
No that wont be it, so the screen just goes black but you believe the system is still running. The only thing that would do that would be the graphics card. Have you tried uninstalling the drivers and then leaving them uninstalled. So for example uninstall the drivers completely, leave them uninstalled and restart the computer. Once you are back in windows the resolution should change and moving stuff around will be very jerky. Leave the system like this and tell me does the screen still drop out?

I did all that before. It doesn't work. The power supply continues to run, fan still spinning and I am able to open cd roms but the monitor gets turned off.

I ran my eurosoft pc-check diagnostic software and the video says it cannot display the required setting needed for testing. Like I said before its integrated VGA controlller.

The resolution stays and 32 bit true color after unistalling the driver and rebooting. The screen is not jerky at all. Its there for 3 minutes maybe and it goes out.

Its a dell system with 2.8ghz and 512ram

My only guess would be that the graphics engine is stuffed. Try getting a graphics card in there!

[-Steve-] said:
My only guess would be that the graphics engine is stuffed. Try getting a graphics card in there!

Just to let you know the system has already been replaced with a new motherboard and ATI video card.

What about the card overheating? Maybe I missed it in the above posts, but take the side of the case off and blow a house fan on it. See if it happens then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back