Possible Video Card Issue

brycrizz07

I have a Dell Inspiron 1764 with Windows 7 Home

A few days ago while watching a video on ESPN.com an error message popped up saying I had an issue with my video card and then my computer froze and restarted itself before I can write down what the error message said. Now when I turn on my computer I get to the screen to type in my username and password and get to my desktop but before the computer is fully loaded it freezes. Everything on my desktop comes up normally with all the icons and background. I can start my computer in safe mode and tried a system restore to no avail.

Can anyone help with my issue or send me in the right direction?

I did notice that under safe mode when my screen saver is supposed to come on I get this message "The screen save can't run because it requires a newer video card or one that's compatible with Direct3D".. Don't know if that is related

Thanks for the help

This laptop has Intel HD Graphics. It is called on-board graphics permanently part of the motherboard and it is not a video card. The graphics driver might have become corrupted or the graphics chip might have overheated

After leaving my computer off for days I was finally able to start it up without it freezing and not in safe mode.

I havent tried to play any videos yet as I want to try and see if there are any issues I need to fix so this doesnt happen again.

I currently do not see any yellow in the device manager

Any reason why I left the computer off for a few days before and it kept freezing then now of all sudden it is working?

Back