Power consumption: from ATI X300 to Nvidia 7600GT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jungchen

I've decided to replace my older graphic card ( an ATI x300) by a Nvidia 7600GT, which seems to be the best card currently available at the best price.

I need to know if I could experience Power consumption problems with this new card?
I have no idea about changing graphic cards, so any advice is helpful.
I checked inside my PC and I seem to have a 250 watts power block. Would that be enough to run the new card without any problems?

Is it enough to plug the card into the PCI-express slot or are their any cables with the 7600GT?

Thanks in advance

I'm assuming you have yet to try to install this new card, I know my friend has a 7600GT and it does not have an additional power plug it just draws all its power directly from the MOBO, not sure of what the actual power demands are but 250 watts is kinda weak, you can pick up a no-name power supply that puts out 450 watts for 50 dollars if you notice any problems.

What are your full hardware specifications? How many amps are on your 12v rail (look on the side of your PSU for a sticker)?

Well....

Every system requirements statement I've ever seen on a GT7600 has been 400 Watts minimum. I doubt that any 250 Watt PSU would have a 12 volt rail capable of offsetting 150 watts of handicap. Best idea here is an honest (read good quality) 400 or better still 450 to 500 watts. Just so it'd run cool and not break a sweat, so to speak.

I didn't read all the answers that you have received. I want to give you some tips to follow. #1. I looked up that 7600GT and it requires 450 watts. A good rule of thumb is to get a PSU that is above the specs that your GFX calls for. After all, there are other electronic devices to power up besides your GFX card. If you are dealing with an AGP slot situation, consider the Nvidia based 7800 GS graphics processor. It does cost about $160 but has 4 times the numbers that the 7600 does. If you are not going gaming, then just forget that. Good Luck.

I don't think 250W is enough, ok look this is what you can do.

You can pickup a 30-50$ PSU of 500W or more on ebay or other online stores.

When buying it look for the Amps on the +12V line. They should be at least 18A for it to run propery. 20A is recomended.

If there is a need for extra cables, they should be included with the graphic card!

Are you sure you have a PCI-E port?

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back