Power supply blew

So I bought all my pc parts brand new a week ago put it all together today but I'm in Ireland and my power cord was American so I used a converter adapter to plug my computer it it started for a split second then the power supply blew a spark out the back but no smoke just tripped our fuse box I plug it out and used my husbands pc power cord to try again nothing not even a whisper it's obvious I blew the power supply but I'm terrified I damaged other components like the mother board I'm also so confused my power supply is a 680w atrx-wr680x apevia which says it has oveoad protection and power surge protection why did it blow?

Converter adapter too 'light'? Bad ground? You may need a better quality adapter - just to assure a good ground. Apevia is not known to me. Bad PSU? The PSU is ATX v2.3 and the label indicates it has plenty of power for your application. However, I wish it were ATX v2.4 which is the current standard.

I recommend that you consult a local computer shop to be sure that the adapter 'works well' with your purchase.

This article may help: https://www.lifewire.com/power-supply-voltage-switch-2625973

May only have blown house fuse. If not, might be PSU infantile failure which nailed house fuse when it broke down. Or, the little red switch near the PSU power connector was not set to 240v.

You can disassemble the system and then partially reassemble on counter top - just PSU, motherboard and CPU with heat sink. Hopefully it will begin to POST and then give you 'beep code' for a lack of RAM error - which means CPU, PSU and motherboard 'work'.. That is good thing. Turn it off and insert RAM. That hopefully will change to video card error code - meaning motherboard, CPU, RAM and PSU all work. Following sequence in the motherboard manual,
work your way by adding the 'error component' until you have a working machine.

Converter adapter too 'light'? Bad ground? You may need a better quality adapter - just to assure a good ground. Apevia is not known to me. Bad PSU? The PSU is ATX v2.3 and the label indicates it has plenty of power for your application. However, I wish it were ATX v2.4 which is the current standard.

I recommend that you consult a local computer shop to be sure that the adapter 'works well' with your purchase.

This article may help: https://www.lifewire.com/power-supply-voltage-switch-2625973

May only have blown house fuse. If not, might be PSU infantile failure which nailed house fuse when it broke down. Or, the little red switch near the PSU power connector was not set to 240v.

You can disassemble the system and then partially reassemble on counter top - just PSU, motherboard and CPU with heat sink. Hopefully it will begin to POST and then give you 'beep code' for a lack of RAM error - which means CPU, PSU and motherboard 'work'.. That is good thing. Turn it off and insert RAM. That hopefully will change to video card error code - meaning motherboard, CPU, RAM and PSU all work. Following sequence in the motherboard manual,
work your way by adding the 'error component' until you have a working machine.

OK so I found out what the issue was I had my power supply set to 115v when it should have been 230v so it overloaded but I did find out everything else is fine and works I've ordered a 750w 230v psu now its just a waiting game

Back