TechSpot

Power supply help

By Chappu
Jun 28, 2007
  1. Is there a certain type of power supply i need to buy or are they all the same?, cause just bought a new graphics card and since i have installed it my sound has been messed up, using ventrillo mainly,its skips alot and will start to buzz. I think this is because i dont have enough power. Only 170w power supply in there now, can u guys help me select a newer 1 thaqt is cheap.

2. Fragrant Coit

Fragrant Coit TS Guru Posts: 363

170w is pretty low.

Probably need some more details on the system - processor, Vid Card etc

Is it in an ATX case? ie your everyday Upright type Case? that will make things a lot easier as Power Supplies are pretty standard for these and you can pick one up anywhere.

The Desktop - ie Horizontal - Cases are often much harder to get PSU's for as they are generally physically smaller.

If you get a "Name Brand" PSU, like an Antec etc, you'll be much better off than with a "Yum Cha" one.

3. Chappu

Chappu TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 49

Yea i have a simple old dell that im working on, Dimension4400, can u help me pick out a new Power supply thats cheap.

4. Chappu

Anyone? need a little help with this.

5. F1N3ST

F1N3ST TS Rookie Posts: 596

Go to newegg.com and buy any PSU with overvoltage protection thatt is ATX form factor, it will be better than your current PSU.

6. kpo6969

kpo6969 TS Maniac Posts: 710

I don't know if you want this one, but it is a recommended replacement for your 4400. Anyway it will give you an idea of what to look for, diagrams,etc.

http://www.power-on.com/atx250dl.html

7. Chappu

8. CCT

CCT TS Evangelist Posts: 2,653   +6

9. nickslick74

nickslick74 TS Rookie Posts: 575

10. F1N3ST

F1N3ST TS Rookie Posts: 596

If 170W is enough to even BOOT the system 350w-400w is an extreme overkill, the 250w should do fine but FSp is a better brand.

11. Chappu

12. GeekieNick101

GeekieNick101 TS Rookie Posts: 373

You can use a powersupply supplied from a different manufacturer, you do not need a factory Dell powersupply and even if you got one from Dell, it just has there named stamped on it, they didn't make it either.

13. wilfish4774

wilfish4774 TS Rookie

I have been in a simular position before concerning computer power supply questions. The best website that I have found is jonnyGuru.com. .

14. kpo6969

The psu I linked you to in post #6 is not the preferred replacement. Power On has the generic versions (ATX) and are cheaper than the PC Power+Cooling "preferred" versions. You get what you pay for and skimping on your psu may cost you more in the long run than the $ you will save now.
    That's a decision only you can make.

15. kpo6969

16. Chappu

Can one of u just pick a PSU out for me.. pls

17. kpo6969

Could you tell us what graphics card you have, please?
    Can't give specific advice without specific information.

18. sghiznaneck

sghiznaneck TS Maniac Posts: 403

Agree with kpo 6969. Without knowing what gpu you have, it's tough to match a psu that will optimize that hardware.

19. Chappu

Im using the Radeon 9600 pro Atlantis
    I guess its Agp 4x/8x or w/e dont know much about this stuff.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.