Power Supply in Europe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, I just bought a desktop with a 500W power supply, has a switch between 115V and 230V. Currently I'm in the US, so I am using the 115V. But I am to live in Austria soon, and am bringing it over, if the power supply will work.

One friend says yes, it will work, another says no, the frequency won't match up. Everything I've read on other forums indicates that the 230V setting is made for Europe, so should be able to handle the frequency.

I just want to hear it from you guys here: will that work in Austria? I don't want to get there and have my computer blow up, after paying like $50 to ship.

Hm, while I'm at it, do you recommend taking out some things while shipping it? Like RAM, HD's, cables, even the whole motherboard? I have the case's original packaging, so I'm not terribly worried, except that something might jar loose and fly around during shipping.

Thanks!

I would purchase an external power converter and run the computer in US mode with the PSU cable going to the converter to the wall.

Just flip the switch - the PSU will work just fine. The AC frequency is totally irrelevant, since the thing coming out of the PSU is DC. You get residual noise at 50Hz instead of 60Hz.. Makes no difference.

The hard drive is the only thing you should worry about. I'd take it out and carry it wqith me to make sure it doesn't get bumped. Then again, you will probably run into trouble with the airport nazis - carrying electronic-looking gadgets around makes them security people nervous, I've heard :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back