Power Supply - loud click

Loaded Glove

When I power the system on/off, reboot and also sometimes in certain load scenarios, the power supply makes a single loud click. The sound is not continuous or sustained, just a single loud click.

I've Googled and get mixed opinions on the issue and it's driving me crazy so I hope to find some help and info here.

First I bought a Corsair HX1000 and had this issue so I returned it to MicroCenter and since they had no more in stock, I swapped it for an EVGA SuperNova 1000 P2. Both units have the same issue so I have to think it's either normal, being caused by something other than the power supply directly or I just have terrible luck.

The issue persists with or without the graphics card installed. Since the 1080 is power hungry, I thought taking it out and using the onboard would be a good variable to try.

I'd like to know what this is, if it's normal or not and either way, if I should get another unit immediately.

Thanks in advance for any help and information!

Specs
intel i7 6700k (no OC)
Asus Maximus VIII Hero* (bios 2001)
Corsair Vengeance ddr4 xmp 2666 32gb (16x2, qvl*)
msi GTX 1080 Gaming X Twin Frozr VI
Samsung 950 Pro M.2 NVMe 512gb
Hitachi Deskstar 7K4000 2tb x 2 (independent)
NZXT S340 matte black/blue
EVGA Supernova 1000 P2
BeQuiet! Shadow Rock Slim (135mm slim fan)
Cougar CFD120 x2 intake, NZXT FN V2 120 x2 exhaust

Windows 10 Pro 64bit

Last edited:
You mentioned powering off, but as you read in my post, the click occurs at other times as well. Powering on, powering off, rebooting, when launching certain programs and when loads ramp up.

Weighing in with dumb questions... can you isolate the source of the click? speakers? mainboard? microphone (very remote, but possible)? PSU fan? PSU thermal fuse?...you may need a probe, wonder if you could rig a microphone with a directional cone and watch amplitude on Audacity.

The first supply I had in this rig which was the Corsair HX1000, the second which was the EVGA SuperNova 1000 P2 and this new 1 which is the Cooler Master V850(chose because Jonny Guru scored it almost perfect and it's on my motherboard's QVL) all exhibit this click and even outside the case, I can clearly hear that it is indeed coming from the psu. Definitely not the fan because the first 2 supplies have hybrid modes which stop the fan completely when temps are below a certain threshold and when the fans were stopped, I still heard the click when powering on/off, rebooting and when engaging loads. Some googling indicates it is probably normal, but it's so annoying and I'm so picky. So far my research points to it being some kind of a relay switch within active PFC power supplies. A relay that most of the time should be fairly inaudible, but can be audible and still be considered within a range of operation and functionality that can be considered normal and healthy. Basically I think I should be fine, but I still wanted some feedback and opinions to be 100% sure of whether I will keep the psu or try to return it yet again. HWinfo64 shows some great numbers for my unit under Prime load so that's at least good. The only number which worried me slightly is when using a power supply tester before I had even installed the psu the power good reading was like 440ms, which is within the safe range of 200-500, but on the higher end of that range. Should be fine, but as I said, I'm pretty picky and I can also be pretty paranoid about anything relating to my PC. :p

Oh and as a side note, this Cooler Master unit does unfortunately have a bit of coil whine, but after reading around the web, it is both normal/typical in general and for this unit specifically. Luckily I can only hear it if I'm 2 feet or less from the unit's exhaust grate so I can live with it and most likely will never notice it.

Reminds me of the relays in the very old NEC monitors. Noisy bunch, but seemed to last - but these were mechanical relays.

So if you have isolated it to the PSU (frankly, I was hoping it was a speaker click) and it is Active PFC, then I expect you have a multi-stage which is why it is clicking for the lauching of some programs

Frankly, I have zero knowledge or understanding of anything electrical and was just surmising based on things I've read around the net. Bottom line is that the noise is definitely coming from the psu and while maybe not terribly common for it to be so audible, I'm leaning towards thinking it's not a problem or indicative of impending failure. Anyone can feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Also I'm inclined to believe that the power in my house may not be the absolute cleanest based on my apartment having older wiring, but according to my Tripp Lite isobar, there is no fault in the line. Not gonna lie, I really don't understand what any of that even means, but it sounds good. :p lmao

Just a thought, I believe Active PFC can be in conflict with some UPS devices, especially if they produce a square wave. If you have one, you may wish to check if it is compatible.

No UPS present, just a pretty simple surge protector. I've tried plugging the machine directly into the outlet without the strip and the result is the same. The comment I made about maybe not having clean power is because I have 4 of these strips and all 4 of them make a very faint buzzing noise when stuff is plugged into them and running. So faint you have to put your ear literally inches from them to hear it, but it's definitely there and definitely comes from the strips and not something else.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000513T0/

Good product... not a source for the 'click issue' - you must have multi-level PFC which means that a new level may switch as load increases and decreases - unusual, but those are high end PSUs.

It's getting worse. :(

Was just running the heaven benchmark and it was doing it a lot. At one point I touched the case and it did it while my hand was on it and it felt like the whole case creaked. Kind of like the sound and sensation of how plastic or metal expand and contract when temperatures change.

Since 3 psus in a row have exhibited this behavior, either I'm truly unlucky or there is something other than the units themselves that is causing them to exhibit this behavior. There is no way this can be normal.

If it were mine, I would consider pulling the PSU out of the case and doing a build with the PSU on the bench-top - spreadout so I could be certain where the sound/movement is coming from the PSU by itself.

Well I'm a fool. The psu's were fine all along and it is my motherboard making the sound.

Apparently others have had similar issues with the Asus Maximus VIII Hero. Abroad the consensus is that it is an issue with the onboard sound and it's de-pop relay so low and behold it may indeed be a relay, just not 1 inside the power supply. lol
At the Asus forum, I was told to also suspect the board's Anti Surge functionality. Both can be disabled and I will be testing that today. In any case, I suppose that means the conclusion of this thread and the need to possibly start a new 1 in a more appropriate sub forum here.

Thanks a lot for replying and giving what insight you could. It is much appreciated!

Back