TechSpot

Power Supply ok, but won't turn on

By plutoroks
Jun 1, 2005
  1. Hello. I believe my computer suffered some sort of power surge due to a lightening storm. When I left in the morning, my computer was on but when I returned home, it was off. I tried to turn it on, but got nothing. After several times of pressing the on button, it sounded like it wanted to start up...the fan came on for maybe 2 seconds and then evertyhing turned off. I tried connecting another power source from another computer and this time the computer sounded like it was going to start up...the fan came on for about 5-7 seconds and then everything shut down again. I tried the original power source in another computer and it worked fine so I know it isn't the power source. Now when I try either of the power sources in my computer, I get nothing at all.

Any suggestions??? Thanks!

2. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 25,948   +19

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Mmm doesn`t sound good.

Open up your computer and disconnect everything that`s not required to boot.

I.E just leave the hdd cpu psu and ram. If your computer starts to boot normally, then start adding the other components one at a time, untill you find the culprit.

If none of the above works then I`m afraid that your mobo maybe dead.

Regards and good luck Howard :wave: :wave:

3. SOcRatEs

SOcRatEs TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,382

I agree with H²

Lightening can be tricky stuff.
    Should you find out the MoBo is gone consider:
    surge protectors for any other electronics you still have. :eek:
    G'Luck
    keep posting back

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.